RE: PTO chipper & Crane advice.

Quercus925

I currently have a Farmi Forest CH260 PTO chipper on a Valtra T130. Ideally I would like to feed this chipper with a crane. Is it possible to run this chipper with a 3 point linkage crane (eventhough the chipper is attached to the tractor on the 3 point linkage). If so what crane would you recommend ?

At present its a 2 man operation as I have been feeding it with an excavator but would prefer it to be a one man operation.

Thanks in advance.

It's certainly possible but there are downsides:

1. You can mount the chipper on the back of a three point linkage crane but it pushes the weight out and makes the front end light, you can counter this with weights

2. You're feeding the chipper with no vision

I had a CH260 with integrated crane and found the blocking to be an issue. 

Just fit remote control to the feed rollers and continue to feed with mini digger.

we fitted one last year , makes a huge difference. Rarely need a helper now.

being able to see the feed rollers makes  chipping a lot easier.

also , tractor and chipper with crane added is a heavy unit with fairly limited reach, needs good ground and can’t really venture into tight spaces for bunches of brash.

Mini digger with a few groundmats will handball stuff out of a lot more places.

• Like 1

Depending on how you are providing oil to the crane you might need a flow restrictor as the tractor will be running at high engine rev powering the chipper.

It will be much harder to feed than with a digger too, as potentially less control (depending on what is on the end of your digger) and zero visibility.

2 hours ago, s o c said:

Just fit remote control to the feed rollers and continue to feed with mini digger.

we fitted one last year , makes a huge difference. Rarely need a helper now.

being able to see the feed rollers makes  chipping a lot easier.

also , tractor and chipper with crane added is a heavy unit with fairly limited reach, needs good ground and can’t really venture into tight spaces for bunches of brash.

Mini digger with a few groundmats will handball stuff out of a lot more places.

This is what I have on my 260. Remote control for the feed rollers. Doesn't control the rotate or angle for the chute (which would be ace) but its still really handy.