CPC Licence what are the rules

AGF

I'm sure this has been discussed before but can you legally drive a 7.5t on a grandfather licence very grey area I know ?
Not grey really, you have to get your licence out and check if it's still on there as I know a few for whom it's been dropped off without asking when they changed address etc. If it's there, you can, if not, you can't.

I thought the cpc thing is if you drive professionally and it is your main job. Ie you just drive the tipper and do little if any ground work..

i,m sure there’s examples on the dvla gov web..

edit: add link 

choose your exemption,,, I’m sure someone will come along and be the judge in a court for you ? 
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driver-cpc-exemptions-examples

will it be this  just change bricks for logs 

Example 2: self-employed bricklayerA self-employed bricklayer drives their lorry to a building site with a load of bricks. They unload the bricks and use them in the construction of a house.

They do not need Driver CPC. This is because driving the lorry is not their main activity and they’re carrying materials for their use in the course of bricklaying

Edited by Wonky

Yes a pre 01-01-97 licence should have C1 on it. It will also have C1E with a 107 restriction to a combined GTW of 8250kg.

If you are driving for non exempted reasons you will need CPC.

Exemptions from needing Driver CPC

You do not need Driver CPC if you’re using the vehicle for:

• non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use
  • carrying material or equipment you use for your job (driving the vehicle cannot be the main part of your job)
  • driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
  • driving to or from pre-booked appointments at official vehicle testing centres
  • driving within 62 miles (100 kilometres) of your base - but the vehicle cannot be carrying passengers or goods, and driving a lorry, bus or coach cannot be your main job
  • maintaining public order - and the vehicle is being used or controlled by a local authority
  • rescue missions or in states of emergency

You also do not need Driver CPC if the vehicle is:

• limited to a top speed of 28mph
  • being used or controlled by the armed forces, police, fire and rescue service, prison service or people running a prison or young offender institution

On 11/03/2020 at 06:49, woodwizzard said:

Just to jump in on this thread with a cpc query. I passed my HGV class 2 back in 1992, but have not driven professionally since. Does the acquired rights still apply to me and can I just do the 35 hour refresher? 

Good question.

Yes you can.

WWW.GOV.UK

When to take Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) periodic training if you're a lorry, bus or coach driver...

However I would counter if thats the best option for you.

35 hours refresher =

5 days lost income £X

5 courses at £50-70 each £250-350

Take the Module 2 & 4 tests =

Module 2 home study & a 30 min test

Module 4 with us is a 2+ hour course, breakfast & 25 min test

Total cost £185

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woodwizzard said:

Thanks for that. Will look into those modules, know nothing about them.

Module 2 is a computer test on scenario you might get in work. Read it & then answer questions.

We do an online course & then you go & book your test.

Module 4 is a practical demo of the walk round check plus a few extra bits. You need a vehicle for this.

We send you a pre course pack & then do a 2 & 1/2 hour practical course & then you take the test.

Total cost £185.

You have too pass Module 2 before taking mod 4.