Old saws on aspen? Additional 2 stroke oil..?

michael_cullum

2 hours ago, Stere said:

So all old 25:1 can be swtiched to 50:1? (Both with regular 2 stroke oil or just aspen?)

Would save alot of bother as atm have 3 fuel can mixes one 25:1 one 40:1 and and one 50:1. As the first two don't get used often proabaly fuels going stale etc....

Cheapo chinese saws still spec 25:1.....

This appears to be the consensus, just not sure I'm brave enough to actually try it, I'd hate to bugger up one of my saws for the sake of skimping on a cup full of oil 

So all old 25:1 can be swtiched to 50:1? (Both with regular 2 stroke oil or just aspen?)

Would save alot of bother as atm have 3 fuel can mixes one 25:1 one 40:1 and and one 50:1. As the first two don't get used often proabaly fuels going stale etc....

They use 30W SAE oil to mix, not Stihl Synth or the like. China doesn’t need to conform to environmental laws (I know 50:1 was introduced before laws, but now it’s a factor), end user in China ain’t worrying about ratio or even oil they use.
They are cheap due to exchange rate and subsidised postal system. Plenty of threads/vidyas of them running 40/50:1.
A janky saw, is still a janky saw, no matter the mix.

11 hours ago, Stere said:

I've been using my Chinese top handle on Aspen2 for a couple of years now. It doesn't get used a lot but it doesn't have any problems when it is used

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Been running two husqvarnas 254 & 266 since mid - late 1980s plus clearing saw & strimmer all at 50/1. Oregon oil to start with then husqvarna oil and pump petrol. Then changed to Aspen 2 ran it for ages, stripped my saws and all were well lubed and very clean, some times I buy Aspen 4 and mix my own 50/1 with husqvarna oil. I often wonder how long a synthetic oil would last on the shelf compared to a mineral oil (both two stroke oils) but if your using a saw regular that dont come into it, mine are run now to play with nothing more. I enjoy it when I take all my saws out and give them a good run and all are cleaned and put away ready for next time. It's one of the pleasures of being retired and having a heart attack, I just clean up wind blown trees on a mates farm so he has plenty of logs in store. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1