kit dates

danthemanwhocan

I've just spent a small fortune on a second climbing system and I've noticed that a rope wrench has 2017 stamped on it (not checked other kit yet). The company i work for also uses a loler inspector who fails stuff left right and centre and I'm worried that this rope wrench would get failed after just 3 years since it would then be 5 years old. 

So two questions.-

1. Do people remember to buy kit with fresh dates on?

2. Do people think I'm entitled to a replacement from the shop?

I know these are slightly mad questions but I think the stuff I've had fail loler is mad too.

Thanks in advance

yes send it back, thats wrong as it only has half its life left, not unless it was half price ? its the same with helmets, they are all dated and when i get one i order from a supplier that does not carry stock and i always ask him to ask if it was manufactured with in the last 3 months if not when are the new batch due in !, the questions aren,t mad as its your lifeline when your climbing, check all the other kit out and if in the case that they have sent you other gear that is dated a couple of years ago just take it all back as i would call that kit second grade and it should be cost reflective, and a bit of addvise allways buy kit like that from a supplier that turns alot of gear over as this should not happen if stock is changing weekly/monthly,

I guess a damaged wrench could potentially have sharp edges etc which could damage ropes. 

I'd refer to the user guidelines as to life spans. I wouldn't be buying one at the moment anyway though as ISC have been pulled up on the wrench being certified as a pulley, which obviously isn't it's intended use. Lots of people aren't selling them now and I imagine they will need recertified under something more relevent.