Jump to content
IronMike

Chain oil

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, peatff said:

 

I don't bath in it and it doesn't vaporise. I use it because I don't use my saw all the time and have seen the results of leaving veg oil standing. Half a drum in a garage soon turned into a lump of jelly that wouldn't pour out. That was Stihl bio oil.

On my processor you can see a mist of oil if the suns at the right angle. Not sure a mist is a vapour but it gets everywhere including your lungs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

On my processor you can see a mist of oil if the suns at the right angle. Not sure a mist is a vapour but it gets everywhere including your lungs

Does your processor use Chain oil? Im sure my mates uses hydraulic oil? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2021 at 11:37, trigger_andy said:

Does your processor use Chain oil? Im sure my mates uses hydraulic oil? 

Should be chain oil, but you're lungs may not notice the difference...

 

I've just finished a 25l drum of rapeseed oil (Rye) and I'm fine with it.  Pretty runny, but still does a tankful to a tankful of fuel.  If extra wear to the bar is the price to pay for using a 'friendlier' oil, so be it.  Before switching to bio-oil, I was using old engine oil (free) filtered through paint strainers, so it's likely to be better for the bar than that!

 

Never had a problem with it going solid or jelly-like, same with the Stihl bio-oil I used.

 

Don't half have to watch it when filling the tank though, coz it's virtually transparent, so easy to overfill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dudders said:

Should be chain oil, but you're lungs may not notice the difference...

 

 

 

The WP30 & 36 use the hydraulic oil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justme said:

 

 

The WP30 & 36 use the hydraulic oil.

I assume its oiling the chain ? I have loads of hydraulic oil about the place but never thought its suitable as chain oil 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

I assume its oiling the chain ? I have loads of hydraulic oil about the place but never thought its suitable as chain oil 

Anything will work as chain oil - the only time you might have issues is on really big bars (particularly if running hot because not sharp). Bar oil is flung to waste, I don’t understand people who pay big money for it.

All mineral oils are produced from the same ‘base’ oil - various additives turn it into different grades/types. Hydraulic oil has relatively few additives compared to other specs (which is why it is comparatively cheap) - chain oil has tackifier (if that’s a word!) which makes it sticky but in reality it isn’t essential IME.
£1 a litre is what I aim to pay (but might struggle at present as all oil is expensive right now) - I tend to buy in bulk though (1000l at a time).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Anything will work as chain oil - the only time you might have issues is on really big bars (particularly if running hot because not sharp). Bar oil is flung to waste, I don’t understand people who pay big money for it.

All mineral oils are produced from the same ‘base’ oil - various additives turn it into different grades/types. Hydraulic oil has relatively few additives compared to other specs (which is why it is comparatively cheap) - chain oil has tackifier (if that’s a word!) which makes it sticky but in reality it isn’t essential IME.
£1 a litre is what I aim to pay (but might struggle at present as all oil is expensive right now) - I tend to buy in bulk though (1000l at a time).

I mill mostly which is why i use chain oil but as you say its pricey. My mate is a lift engineer and sells me 25 litres for £10 as he gets it free 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

I mill mostly which is why i use chain oil but as you say its pricey. My mate is a lift engineer and sells me 25 litres for £10 as he gets it free 

I’d use that personally - you’ll know straight away if the chain is running dry.

Edited by monkeybusiness
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone out there is defo going to stay with mineral oil rather than bio, I've got 4 25-litre drums of hydraulic oil that's just come out of my mill.  It's destined for the recycling plant, but you can have it for free if you can pick it up - East Sussex.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2020 at 14:55, wyk said:

Straight rapeseed for nearly a decade doing all manner of work with ported saws between 36cc and 87cc.

 

157917512.7kt21RCj.jpg

 

159340544.udxz8kZN.jpg

 

163191233.395uW4Qj.jpg

Much better smelling- like chips frying🍟

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.