Chain oil

IronMike

On 04/04/2021 at 12:42, gary112 said:

I,ve always used Morris chain oil but its really expensive so have tried local agri store(TFM)own branded stuff and seems good and its £9.46 for 5 litres,or £45.00 for 25iltres

GB Oils is owned by Morris I believe, so the oil is the same in different barrels. 

14 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Been using the Clarks Bio for a while. How different is plane rapeseed? 

On smaller bars no difference & I go up to 30” with it. There is a little more wear to the bars for sure, but when you are going through sometimes 3l a day, the price soon offsets it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rapeseed smells nice too! Just don't leave it sat in the pump as it'll emulsify and gum it up. If this happens, run very hot water through the tank.

I did notice a fair bit more bar wear using rapeseed, and for the quantities I use it wasn't worth it.

I ran veg oil for a few years and was ok then the plastic oil worm drive gears started to strip...

Went back to mineral oil which is peanuts!

I've been considering switching onto Clarke's bio oil but the cost is huge compared to mineral! And even the 205ltr drums don't give much discount at all.... 

Me being a tight bugger I still havent decided what to do :D

On 04/04/2021 at 12:31, Pete Mctree said:

@trigger_andy what’s funny about not wanting to be covered in mineral oil & inhaling it in aerosol form every day. You have a special lubed up fetish with oil cos you work in the industry or your just plain dumb? 

Love the last sentence pete 🤣

Edited by topchippyles

On 04/04/2021 at 10:46, Pete Mctree said:

I will never again use mineral oil, as who wants to be covered with the stuff and inhale the particles ?

I don't bath in it and it doesn't vaporise. I use it because I don't use my saw all the time and have seen the results of leaving veg oil standing. Half a drum in a garage soon turned into a lump of jelly that wouldn't pour out. That was Stihl bio oil.

• Like 3