Chain oil

IronMike

I started using Aldi rape seed oil in my little 120 battery saw, which Rough Hewn recommended and he was spot on its a great little "garden" saw, the rape seed oil works just fine in it and is cheap as can be.  The neighbour often borrows this wee saw and I told him just put rape seed oil in and don't buy in bar oil for the tiny little jobs he does.

I stick to conventional bio bar oil for the bigger saws, as I found the rape oil smoked a fair bit on them. 

• Like 1

I'm just a householder doing 15 cube a year to heat the house so I don't use big quantities, but I've not noticed much difference from Stihl, husqvarna, other cheap brands even used up some 10w40 left over from a long gone car, and some ep70/80 left over from a gear box change a few decades ago.  I did mix both the engine oil and gear oil 50/50 with chain oil though.  They all worked..... Although I'd forgotten how gear oil stinks! I think the husqvarna flings less than the stihl and it seems to be a couple of quid cheaper for 5l, so I'll likely stick with that. £12.74/5L when I'm passing by Jonesy.

On a slightly different point, does bio-oil get more viscous over time even if stored in a closed bottle? The stuff I have must be around 3/4 years old now in a 5l container and I doubt I have used even 500ml yet. There is barely any evidence of oil on the chain and the tank is full etc. Will increasing the oil pump flow make a difference?

Increasing the flow will defo make a difference - you'll use more, which in your case sounds like it may be a good idea?  If your tank is full and you're not using oil, maybe the flow is blocked, or at least restricted, so give it all a good check.  The chain might not show a lot of oil, but if you rev it up whilst holding the saw just in front of a piece of timber, you should get a fair spatter of oil showing on the timber.  Your oil might get more viscous over time, but you only have to pour a bit out into a cup to check that.

I'm guessing you're bar oil hole is gummed up.

No veg oil only dries when open to the air, I think. It will thicken when cold, olive oil goes solid around 15C iirc, rape is probably a bit lower.

Edited by neiln

I think discussing bar oil is like being in the pub and talking to others about beer. And also talking to those that drink lager, “it’s beer isn’t it ?” 

I just buy what I like. it’s my saw that serves the bar.

pun  intended 😉

anyhow carryon, I’ll sit here and sipping my real ale from a contraption that’s ment to sever lager. And very nice it is.  😂

• Like 1

I think discussing bar oil is like being in the pub and talking to others about beer. And also talking to those that drink lager, “it’s beer isn’t it ?” 

I just buy what I like. it’s my saw that serves the bar.
pun  intended [emoji6]

anyhow carryon, I’ll sit here and sipping my real ale from a contraption that’s ment to sever lager. And very nice it is.  [emoji23]

It’s blue though!!!🤣[emoji106]

No the bar oil hole was ok. I found the screw to increase the oil flow and that seems to have sorted it.

Final query at the moment - whats the best thing for scrubbing the gunk of the chain before storing - I am thinking some sort of wire brush but would this not also dull the chain?

Using a wire brush isn't a problem - once the chain is clean, resharpen it.  For cleaning, I'd soak the chain in a shallow dish of paraffin or diesel, shake it around a bit, should be fine.  May need to change the fluid a couple of times if it's really mucky.  Brush if you have to.  Let it drip dry, brush on some engine oil, all done.  I'm not sure you're into sharpening the chain yourself - if not, you should learn, coz it needs doing regularly, maybe every couple of hours' work, depending on the wood.  You only need the right size file, no fancy jigs or motors.