Chain oil

IronMike

33 minutes ago, peatff said:

I don't bath in it and it doesn't vaporise. I use it because I don't use my saw all the time and have seen the results of leaving veg oil standing. Half a drum in a garage soon turned into a lump of jelly that wouldn't pour out. That was Stihl bio oil.

On my processor you can see a mist of oil if the suns at the right angle. Not sure a mist is a vapour but it gets everywhere including your lungs

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/04/2021 at 11:37, trigger_andy said:

Does your processor use Chain oil? Im sure my mates uses hydraulic oil? 

Should be chain oil, but you're lungs may not notice the difference...

I've just finished a 25l drum of rapeseed oil (Rye) and I'm fine with it.  Pretty runny, but still does a tankful to a tankful of fuel.  If extra wear to the bar is the price to pay for using a 'friendlier' oil, so be it.  Before switching to bio-oil, I was using old engine oil (free) filtered through paint strainers, so it's likely to be better for the bar than that!

Never had a problem with it going solid or jelly-like, same with the Stihl bio-oil I used.

Don't half have to watch it when filling the tank though, coz it's virtually transparent, so easy to overfill.

14 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

I assume its oiling the chain ? I have loads of hydraulic oil about the place but never thought its suitable as chain oil 

Anything will work as chain oil - the only time you might have issues is on really big bars (particularly if running hot because not sharp). Bar oil is flung to waste, I don’t understand people who pay big money for it.

All mineral oils are produced from the same ‘base’ oil - various additives turn it into different grades/types. Hydraulic oil has relatively few additives compared to other specs (which is why it is comparatively cheap) - chain oil has tackifier (if that’s a word!) which makes it sticky but in reality it isn’t essential IME.
£1 a litre is what I aim to pay (but might struggle at present as all oil is expensive right now) - I tend to buy in bulk though (1000l at a time).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Anything will work as chain oil - the only time you might have issues is on really big bars (particularly if running hot because not sharp). Bar oil is flung to waste, I don’t understand people who pay big money for it.

All mineral oils are produced from the same ‘base’ oil - various additives turn it into different grades/types. Hydraulic oil has relatively few additives compared to other specs (which is why it is comparatively cheap) - chain oil has tackifier (if that’s a word!) which makes it sticky but in reality it isn’t essential IME.
£1 a litre is what I aim to pay (but might struggle at present as all oil is expensive right now) - I tend to buy in bulk though (1000l at a time).

I mill mostly which is why i use chain oil but as you say its pricey. My mate is a lift engineer and sells me 25 litres for £10 as he gets it free 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

I mill mostly which is why i use chain oil but as you say its pricey. My mate is a lift engineer and sells me 25 litres for £10 as he gets it free 

I’d use that personally - you’ll know straight away if the chain is running dry.

Edited by monkeybusiness
  • Like 1

If anyone out there is defo going to stay with mineral oil rather than bio, I've got 4 25-litre drums of hydraulic oil that's just come out of my mill.  It's destined for the recycling plant, but you can have it for free if you can pick it up - East Sussex.  

• Like 1