Do all wood moisture meters read the same moisture%?/

cessna

As title , do you think if one  make of moisture meter says a log is say 22%  that all moisture meters will say the same?  I know from experience that grain moisture meters vary and we  have to calibrate each one using oven dried samples of grain as the reference sample.  

I ask the question because if a log customer is very fussy and comes out with his moisture meter and starts probing your logs before one uloads them ,and says these logs are measuring up to 22%  moisture but your own meter reads 20%  ,then one has a bit of a problem. I myself would say your'e  obviously not satisfied with my wood and drive off.!!!  I can see the aforementioned in reality in the future? 

Mine can vary that much on the same log anyway, even more so if the batteries are dying.

Just make up a calibration certificate on a word processor and tell him yours is accurate and for a fiver you will take his and calibrate it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have 3 of the things,none of them read the same,variations of up to 10% so whats the point,always said they were a gimmick,they can tell a soaking wet log from a dry one and thats it,I have already had them come out with the meter, and delivered a few loads and they have left them in a mouldy old wet shed for a week then called me to come and take a look at there now 38%mc logs,,the whole thing is going to be a nightmare

• Like 1

I have 3 of the things,none of them read the same,variations of up to 10% so whats the point,always said they were a gimmick,they can tell a soaking wet log from a dry one and thats it,I have already had them come out with the meter, and delivered a few loads and they have left them in a mouldy old wet shed for a week then called me to come and take a look at there now 38%mc logs,,the whole thing is going to be a nightmare

I gave up using the prong versions years ago.
Seriously thinking of paying several hundred pounds for a proper magnetic field reader.
[emoji106]

Like most things in life - you get what you pay for. I have a £7 orange generic Stihl labelled MM I bought years ago, You can still get them, just slightly different shape. The Stihl reads 1% higher MC than my £175 protimeter and the Protimeter reads the same as a £300 magnetic field Protimeter.

Branded high end MM's will have been calibrated, have longevity and keep there accuracy long term.

If you have spent out, I can't see many customers disputing your MC reading if they come out with one they bought from Lidl for £10! ?

• Like 2

I found they all read within 40% of each other ?especially when the batteries get low . 

Cant see 20 -25 % being a big deal the problem stuff is 36 % and plenty of that gets delivered cheap. We mostly sell kindling and kiln dried logs . Because there are a lot wet logs about especially this time of year that is why kiln dried is so popular why not pay 25% more for 50 % more heat .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Variation example of two types of moisture meters base on manufactures information:

Stihl moisture meter +2 / -2%

Dr Meter (MD812) +1 /-1 %

If pins get bent, which can happen with some meters, it will affect reading as will a low battery. When sampling for increased precision split log and take three reading and use the average as moisture level can vary sometimes significantly at top, middle and bottom of split log, if in a hurry split log and use centre reading. 

On 07/03/2020 at 21:27, defender tipper said:

I blacklist him as a customer if I were you 

• Like 1