Castanea Sativa

Big Beech

Funny how opinions vary among knowledgable people.

A well respected member explained on here years ago (no, I don't remember who it was) that SC has a large number of tyloses in the xylem: when the timber is cut these close, reducing the opportunity for water to escape.

In response someone else said that they dealt with SC logs by leaving them for ~18 months after cutting, then trimming the ends off; this apparently accelerated drying, presumably due to removing the closed tyloses.

Wiki states that tyloses also play a part in reducing rot in heartwood; I wonder if that's the case with SC, a wood famously resistant to rot.

As firewood I hate the stuff!

Edited by nepia
  • Thanks 1

Fair do's.  Like I said it's funny how knowledgeable folk have such differing opinions on a single species of common wood.

Thinking about our apparent difference - I don't run our burner hard - there's no need with dry conifer on it:  I wonder if I opening it up a bit for chestnut (if I ever need to get rid of any again!) would bring my experience in line with yours.

Castanea sativa
Possibly one of the best trees in the world.
Fed medieval Europe with its protein and fat rich seeds.
It's wood is tall straight and fast growing.
And coppice!!!!
Durable and easy to work with.
Burns without spitting after 2 years drying.
The list of object made from this tree is nearly endless.
Nepia you need a new stove mate.
[emoji106]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Both it seems, coppice the lot, sélect the best for post and rail, the rest for firewood.

Everyone and his dog has a patch of woodland with an old Massey and trailer parked up.

That’s excellent news as I will be looking to fill up some time, and borrow a Massey when I arrive in the Summer.

• Haha 1

One of its problems its a light for a hardwood.

Just cut some identical sized samples of dry chestnut, ash, and beech. The ash is the lightest I have had. Big J commented on how light it was. The chestnut is not as much lighter than I thought it would be but its still 20% lighter than beech and this will be reflected in its energy output

IMG_20200301_210057.jpg

One of its problems its a light for a hardwood.

Just cut some identical sized samples of dry chestnut, ash, and beech. The ash is the lightest I have had. Big J commented on how light it was. The chestnut is not as much lighter than I thought it would be but its still 20% lighter than beech and this will be reflected in its energy output
IMG_20200301_210057.thumb.jpg.f0772844abac751da0a29ea4fdc1ef53.jpg

Very true. But SC grows so many times faster than beech, and seasons quicker.
You ever eaten beech masts?
[emoji6][emoji106]