Small processors

Big Beech

I have owned a small splitter from a well known chinese branded machine and have been thoroughly impressed over the time I've used it, and only recently had to replace a few components. Its served me well and earnt money.

I may have an opportunity to have or get alot of Ash and thinnings for next to nothing and looking at potential ways to earn from it. I dont have a big budget by any means and see it as a short term investment. Cutting and splitting the material I can get and then selling the machine once the task is completed possibly.

Ideally looking for one man operator machine with belt to load direct to vehicle.

Rock machinery... I see have a new processor 20T version and also seen the japa 305. I know rock is not the favourite brand but it may suit my needs, but at that cos what others should I be considering? Does anyone know the cost of the japa? Or other options? Could be second hand but the budget certainly no higher that 6.5k.

Is it even a good time to be thinking about logs given the new legislation? All my logs have been barn dried so it's not a fast return but that doesn't bother me. Perhaps I should even forget the idea!

Any input welcome

Give Kilworth machinery a shout. They always have loads of second hand machines in stock from exchanges for new tajfuns.

The oh27 hakki pilke is worth a look new if its just thinnings you want to do. Might be in your price bracket.

On the log side of things, doesn't get much easier than ash thinnings for getting dry quick. As long as you're selling under 20% or in volumes of over 2m3 loose then there's nothing to worry about!

• Like 1

My mate bought a wp36? A few months ago.£7k
Got about a 7 second cycle time.
He just sold it and bought a stand alone splitter with 4 way head.£2.5k
He reckons just as quick if you can use a Saw.
And he's got £4.5k for a tractor with forks and several hundred ibcs.

The Rock firewood processors are marketed as yard tow not road tow machines.

On other options consider better splitter and circular saw as cheaper alternative and easy to sell on. 

Don't forsee any problem with new legislation if your logs are barn dried.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

My mate bought a wp36? A few months ago.£7k
Got about a 7 second cycle time.
He just sold it and bought a stand alone splitter with 4 way head.£2.5k
He reckons just as quick if you can use a Saw.
And he's got £4.5k for a tractor with forks and several hundred ibcs.

Sounds like an old model or it was not working properly. The ones I have used have a 2 speed ram with 3.5 second cycle time

• Like 1

Sounds like an old model or it was not working properly. The ones I have used have a 2 speed ram with 3.5 second cycle time

Think it was a 2015?
With a 10"ish log it would take about 7 seconds to cut and split.
I've got a video somewhere, that's how I timed the cycle.
Yes 7 seconds fir the ram would be ridiculously slow [emoji23][emoji106]