brainwashed Americans

dadio

15 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 13.19.07.png

This pretty much sums up how it appears to be used and those that use it. Like “politically correct” before it, the word “woke” has come to connote the opposite of what it means. Technically, going by the Merriam-Webster dictionary’s definition, woke means “aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)”, but today we are more likely to see it being used as a stick with which to beat people who aspire to such values, often wielded by those who don’t recognise how un-woke they are, or are proud of the fact.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

This pretty much sums up how it appears to be used and those that use it. Like “politically correct” before it, the word “woke” has come to connote the opposite of what it means. (subjective)

Technically, going by the Merriam-Webster dictionary’s definition, woke means “aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice) important”, (assuming that those issues actually are "important") but today we are more likely to see it being used as a stick (more an observation of how over "wokeness" is likely to tie itself up in its own contradictions) with which to beat people who aspire to such values (again, subjective to assume there is a "value" which is worthy of aspiration), often wielded by those who don’t recognise how un-woke they are (is that a double negative?😂), or are proud of the fact. (or are frustrated by an apparent desperation for some to prove how "woke" they actually are?)

All up, not an entirely inaccurate definition....

Where is your extract from?

I favour this one:

“...the act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue...” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woke is not a term we hear over here. So I did a quick search and got the Wiki version. "It is a term that refers to a "perceived" awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice".

Over here it is common for a media person to become "woke" to an issue, and when in debate, they yell, scream, and don't let the other side talk. Then they call the other side names and accuse them of not caring or being aware of the issue. Two months later, the same media person will become "woke" to another issue. Completely discard the first issue, yell, scream and call the other side names. Over the course of a year, they may do this a half dozen times, getting nothing accomplished on any of the issues, but still yelling, screaming and calling names. To me, they are displaying all of the negative traits they are blaming the other side of?

As another person, with friends all around the world, who does care about others, how would you have me understand, the term "woke"? I added the quotes on the word "perceived" awareness, because it's in the Wiki definition. Perceived could also mean faked, it's just how good of a job one person does fooling another that they really care?

So, does it mean I'm truly "awakened to an issue"?

Or, does it mean I could have deceived you into thinking I'm concerned about the issue?

Thanks, Joe.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

I presume you don’t understand the meaning of the word then?

It's a shame as I don't agree with how  the english language has been hijacked and effectively banned the use of ordinary words which I used to illustrate the point. However I did not intend to offend, especially not Saul who I enjoy reading his antics on here. I'll let it drop rather than dig a deeper hole.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

It's a shame as I don't agree with how  the english language has been hijacked and effectively banned the use of ordinary words which I used to illustrate the point. However I did not intend to offend, especially not Saul who I enjoy reading his antics on here. I'll let it drop rather than dig a deeper hole.

Even the word originally used that upset Saul (and I’m not saying it isn’t offensive) has within living memory gone from mainstream to the evil list of words we can’t use anymore. I remember Robisons jam and certain toys that you could collect 

• 1 year later...