Proposed regulation of the sales, distribution and marketing of house coal and wet wood (>20% moisture)

arboriculturist

40ft-shipping-container-canopy-10m-wide-shelter.jpg WWW.BUDGETSHIPPINGCONTAINERS.CO.UK
10 Metres of covered space between 2x 40ft shipping containers 5 year manufacturer warranty High Tensile...  

there seem to be a number of firms offering this, presumably you use the top locks to fix it to the container and it must be possible to get a translucent or clear covering

Looks like a big kite to me.
[emoji6][emoji106]
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Looks like a big kite to me.
emoji6.pngemoji106.png

?

It's what I hope to do for a small woodland heavily infested with ash dieback, subject to planning, but I will use bits from a polytunnel and possibly clear corrugated pvc sheet rather than polythene

I regret not doing this for a little extension I built between my shed and garage but otherwise the insulated profiled steel sheet does well and no problem with condensation one gets with the plain sheet.

So I take on board all the comments here concerning firewood sales.  The stupidity of using dry or wet firewood to dry other firewood, the fact that having dried your firewood by whatever means and then selling it to someone who leaves it in a heap where it regains all the moisture it has just lost.

I suggest selling logs not as firewood but as a work of art.

Chainsaw carvings perhaps with each log representing a politician, wooden, split down the middle both left and right, processed, then elevated to a great height before a sudden drop to the bottom, sometimes wet and a lot of times rotten, usually ending up in a log jam!

• Haha 1

On 29/02/2020 at 17:18, openspaceman said:

?

It's what I hope to do for a small woodland heavily infested with ash dieback, subject to planning, but I will use bits from a polytunnel and possibly clear corrugated pvc sheet rather than polythene

I regret not doing this for a little extension I built between my shed and garage but otherwise the insulated profiled steel sheet does well and no problem with condensation one gets with the plain sheet.

I would not bother with the corrugated sheet on the polytunnel. Have tried that to replace the plastic sheet and the first real storm it just shattered into small pieces although I am in a windy area.

• Thanks 1

On 03/03/2020 at 22:51, renewablejohn said:

I would not bother with the corrugated sheet on the polytunnel. Have tried that to replace the plastic sheet and the first real storm it just shattered into small pieces although I am in a windy area.

@renewablejohn have you experimented with grades and translucency of the sheet for covering polytunnels?

As I said I was proposing corrugated PVC as a longer life cover and high light transmission because it works so successfully at my home but woould like suggestions for best cost-lifetime cover. I think the wood will sustain about 80 tonnes/annum for several years and adding value would seem to make sense over selling in the round.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

@renewablejohn have you experimented with grades and translucency of the sheet for covering polytunnels?

As I said I was proposing corrugated PVC as a longer life cover and high light transmission because it works so successfully at my home but woould like suggestions for best cost-lifetime cover. I think the wood will sustain about 80 tonnes/annum for several years and adding value would seem to make sense over selling in the round.

Up in Shetland they're making strong polytunnels out of 2nd hand plastic pipe, timber and polycarbonate sheeting

WWW.POLYCRUB.CO.UK

Polytunnel/greenhouse hybrid designed and built to withstand high wind speeds and the harshest of climates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Have used all the Visqueen range of covers from clear to opaque and the opaque which changes wavelength which insects dont like. Even used the green mushroom covers. I found clear best for drying wood but the opaque for growing plants but a tunnel of each type as the wavelength change is ideal for plants that you harvest before coming into flower but useless for anything that requires pollination for which I use the normal opaque tunnel. That said I would no longer recommend any visqueen product as every sheet over the last 5 years has split down the folding lines and despite spending thousands of pounds with them and numerous site visits showing them the problem they have not been prepared to do anything. I used to easily get 5 to 8 years out of a cover but the last few have only lasted between 6 months and 3 years. Needless to say I have kicked Visqueen into touch and looking for a better supplier having at present 3 tunnels that I need to recover.

Edited by renewablejohn

1 hour ago, scbk said:

Up in Shetland they're making strong polytunnels out of 2nd hand plastic pipe, timber and polycarbonate sheeting

WWW.POLYCRUB.CO.UK

Polytunnel/greenhouse hybrid designed and built to withstand high wind speeds and the harshest of climates.

Think where talking a different scale using IBC's to dry logs. My tunnels are minimum 7 mtrs wide and can store 4 IBC's per mtr length of tunnel. Think these tunnels are only 3-4 mtrs wide so probably 2 IBC's per mtr length.