Proposed regulation of the sales, distribution and marketing of house coal and wet wood (>20% moisture)

arboriculturist

On ‎29‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:43, Big J said:

One of the main issues is that there is no mention made of adequate storage for end users. The whole process of drying timber and conforming to ever tightening regulations is completely irrelevant if the customer doesn't store their wood correctly. 

Tarp over the top of the firewood is not sufficient. A little lean to at the side of the house is not sufficient. A well ventilated shed with a substantial overhang is what is required. By all means, stack it outside without a cover over summer, but for a period before final use, it needs to be covered with very good airflow. This has been my store for the past 7 years. It worked so well that I brought it down from Scotland to Devon:

No photo description available.

I am wholeheartedly against the sale of dried firewood, if I'm being honest. It puts all of the onus on the retailer to absorb the cost of storing it, locked up capital as well as having a delivery method that somehow keeps it dry whilst it's being delivered at the wettest time of year.

Hopefully the new legislation will boost green timber sales. The savings customers would make from buying fresh and seasoning themselves would easily pay for a good woodstore, and it'd make the lives of retailers much easier. 

And on the topic of kilns, whilst I don't begrudge anyone that has them (especially if RHI funded), the notion of burning timber to dry timber for burning is total and complete nonsense. There is absolutely no justification for it, except for supplying a marketplace where the average customer is an idiot who doesn't know the first thing about how to light or maintain a fire, let alone store and dry firewood.

Great post this, anyone burning or attempting to burn wet wood needs their stove removing from their house as they obviously don't have a clue what they are doing. Why regulate the installation of stoves, flues and sale of wood when people can attempt to burn whatever they like?

On the subject of drying wood out, i find that the wind and sun, through an open sided log store with a felted board roof to keep the rain off does the trick, I've 2 year old beech that is down to 11% moisture that burnt lovely all winter. 

Edited by DocMustard
Typo
  • Like 2