Which Friction Lowering Devices?

Jamie Jones

Just starting to get in to getting a rigging kit together and I have been looking at which Friction Lowering Devices to get?

The only one I have used to date is the Tree Runner P500 Rigging Device / Abseil Brake that is attached to the tree with a Ratchet Strap. The Device has rubber feet so you don't damage the trees stem...

Do people rate this device? 

I was wondering what Friction Lowering Devices people use and what they would recommend getting?

RC 2000 is almost as good as a bollard and nice and easy to set up , maybe a little cheaper than the p500 ,I would definitely take one over a port a wrap for serious rigging.
You definitely can’t go wrong with the rc2001 for a fixed bollard .
you have the choice of changing to rubber mounts , I’ve rigged out some very big trees and lumps with them and it was my go to device before I got a Hobbs.
The pinnacle of lowering is the GCRS but it’s expensive and not as robust as the hobbs , well in my hands any way...

• Like 2

You won't go wrong with the Runner or the 2001.

Dan is spot on about the portawrap.

Whenever I see people using them I cringe, it's like using a bow saw.

I always like the back up the bollard with a whoopie sling at the base to back up the ratchet strap.

Hopefully you will go for a GRCS then sell it on to me for £50 after a few weeks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What Mark said with a whoopie or dead eye under any ratchet strap device, or just wait for the moment a big lump sees it head up the tree if not cut in........embarrassing

I think you can still get a tongue/foot hook thing for the p500 which is easier than cutting in.

Edited by Andrew McEwan

I would go for a fix bollard over a floating device any day. We have the tree runner, its pretty light and works great.

In the past I have used an RCW3001 which is bomb proof but heavy, not used the 2001.

Just a scaled down version of the 3001 , but still meaty enough for take downs in uk.
  • Like 1