DMM vs ISC for Rigging Impact Block Pulleys

Jamie Jones

Just starting think about getting in to rigging having just done my chainsaw from a rope and harness....

I am looking at rigging impact block pulleys.... It seems that the two key competitors are the DMM and ISC... The DMM is the more expensive of the two with a good saving over the ISC versions... But the DMM looks better built... Having never used ether make what to people prefer using out of the two brands and why? And what are the main pro's & con's of each brand?

28 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Not sure about being better built but its certainly sexier! The ISC is pretty much bomb proof, used them for years. The DMM offers other advantages if you want to get really technical(see some of treemagineers videos), but for a regular rigging block you wont go wrong with ISC 

Thanks?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Not sure about being better built but its certainly sexier! The ISC is pretty much bomb proof, used them for years. The DMM offers other advantages if you want to get really technical(see some of treemagineers videos), but for a regular rigging block you wont go wrong with ISC 

If you had to replace your impact block which would you go for out of the DMM & ISC?

Also if you was to get two impact blocks, what size blocks would you buy?

id say any arb block would be fine, it wiil depend on what size rigging rope you are using, also the swing cheek pulleys are handy for redirects or smaller stuff.

id get minimal gear until you start rigging then you will understand what you do and dont need ( none of its cheap, and despite what the adverts imply the colour really dosent matter! lol.

plenty of good vids to learn from on the net.

• Thanks 1

I do prefer the isc locking over the dmm , maybe not as smooth but I trust it more, once it’s in its in, once or twice I have had the dmm open...but the dmm is far sexier and takes a lot more KN so I would not hesitate to replace with another, I just really check over them once set and I’ve not had an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use rigging rings for everything that won't require lifting. They're cheaper, lighter and stronger. Only disadvantage is you can't set them midline but very rarely does that bother me.

Otherwise I use the isc flame or whatever it's called. Great pulley and relatively light. Wouldn't waste money on the dmm ones, seen a few where the locking thread has been damaged very easily thus destroying an otherwise perfect pulley.

In my mind. Rigging equipment is not really used by you, it's whoever is on the ground and even if you trust whoever you're working with they'll still shag your kit (especially if you're a contract climber). Spend what you have to, get nice kit but spend only what's necessary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Isc small block and a 14mm sirus rope covers most with a tree runner 500 bollard. Isc swing cheek pulleys come in handy for lighter rigging or re directs. Rings really are the way forward though, easy to set up, cheaper, put more friction into the system. Best bit of kit is an old climbing line and a fork for light rigging!

If you’re starting up i’d just buy it as you need it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1