Middle of Lidl this weekend

djbobbins

I’ve seen that they have electric paint sprayers in Lidl on Sunday 1st March.

We have got a set of metal gates to the side of our house which, to be honest, have been in need of painting since we moved here. Which was in 2007...

There’s a reason for this. I hate gloss painting. I have got the paint already (Lidl hammerite type stuff) but just haven’t been able to build up the gumption to get a brush out.

I’m wondering if a paint sprayer might be an answer; I’ve seen the ones advertised in Lidl and wondered if anyone has experience of using them - particularly for solvent based paint?

Probably quicker with a roller and tray,you will need to thin the paint sieve through some old tights then get as much over spray as paint on the gates.then have to do it all again for a run free finish.  bit the bullet use radiator roller and brush to finish corners. i forgot the over spray onto the next door neighbours new car, drips on the paving and chucking the spray gun away cause its a real fan to clean properly.

• Like 1

I bought one a few years ago, don't know if it's the same one. The spray is fairly thick, tends to run. Bugger to clean. Best used with water based emulsion for pebble dash walls, where a fine finish is not important. Also you will waste a lot of paint spraying a gate as must of it will go through. Better to remove the gates and take them to a proper oven bake paintshop.

• Like 1

For a while Hammerite were making an electrostatic type paint gun, you clamp an earth lead to the piece and the paint is attracted to it.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Hammerite HAM6705020 Metal Master Spray Gun: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

You don't see it any more, so I assume it didn't work great?

• 1 month later...
2007...bloody hell, just get on with it if it hasn't disintegrated in to rust by the time you get your arse in to gear.

Finally painted them a few weeks ago; definitely look better but it was a complete PITA of a job. Not difficult, just really fiddly. Need another coat really but I’m going to have to be supremely bored or desperate to start on them again!!
  • Thanks 1

one thing with Hammerite paint types is to use the thinners first you can get big drums of it not just the shop little tin.

The thinners is the primer/undercoat you after cleaning say gate with jet washer to remove most dirt tip some into a jar/tub(not too much as evaporates fast!)brush it all over work piece from top down then paint with finish.

makes sure stir hammerite very often! you will find it goes on/flows far better ending with a smoother finish and it takes to item painted! if not it either pulls/grabs as painting leaving often runs/or lumps and wash peel off item later.

But done that way will find paints so much quicker and easier.

A sprayer would be useful for the thinners!

• Like 1