Surely this must be the end of stove related legislation for now?

While some blame the government for the mis-information circulating last week, it does say categorically in the announcement that there would be no ban on wood burning stoves. Happens that some media outlets chose to ignore that bit and make sensational headlines of their own. So, surely this must be the end of any stove related legislation for now? They have had a long time to think of these regulations so hopefully we wont be waking up to the sensationalising headlines for some time to come!

30 minutes ago, BowlandStoves said:

While some blame the government for the mis-information circulating last week, it does say categorically in the announcement that there would be no ban on wood burning stoves. Happens that some media outlets chose to ignore that bit and make sensational headlines of their own. So, surely this must be the end of any stove related legislation for now? They have had a long time to think of these regulations so hopefully we wont be waking up to the sensationalising headlines for some time to come!

I think the latest headlines will not help businesses like yourselves without doubt. It may be a good time to diversify into moisture meters! I ordered a new one just today.

No, without doubt I don't think this is the last of it.

I replied to a post from Alcydion but he has not had time to reply yet - here is the question in response to his post:

I have a question  -  A very important question:

You say:   "The regulations will be tightened further in 2025 and possibly again in 2030 not that the latter will bother me  to much,  I will be long dead by then".

Exactly how,  would you suggest   "will the regulations will be tightened further in 2025 and possibly again in 2030" ?

I am sure the planned legislation, when implemented, will have far reaching effects and a at first glance it would appear that a huge number of people are underestimating the gravity of the changes. 

Much of the pressure will end user - the customer, as they will have been subjected to a barrage of information on 'Ready to burn' firewood from all angles as I have mentioned in another thread. Many will be buying moisture meters off ebay or Amazon and when ordering they will be asking a lot more questions before they order, then on delivery they will be out with the axe and moisture meter.

We have had 2 cases as such in the last 48hrs!

Edited by arboriculturist

On one hand this has given stove retailers/manufacturers the chance to get out there and correct errors in the press. On the other hand, it has muddied the water a little and put a degree of doubt into the mind of some people. It could certainly have been handled better by the authorities but we are where we are at the moment.

40 minutes ago, BowlandStoves said:

On one hand this has given stove retailers/manufacturers the chance to get out there and correct errors in the press. On the other hand, it has muddied the water a little and put a degree of doubt into the mind of some people. It could certainly have been handled better by the authorities but we are where we are at the moment.

We'll leave it to Bowland Stoves to put the record straight then ! 

Seriously though, setting the threshold at 20% is extreme. Just take a look at all the threads on here and it is clear that a 25% MC level would but a reasonable workable figure for all concerned. 5% MC may not sound a lot but its leaps apart when it comes to Firewood. However in terms of 'Particulate polution' levels, it is in fact negligible, when you factor in the additional ' Particulates' produced when people are being railroaded into forced drying. There is plenty of evidence based data out there if you care to take the time to research.

In addition - Where is the public consultation? !

I think the Woodburner manufacturers / retailers need to make their voice heard as well as producers.

Edited by arboriculturist
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

We'll leave it to Bowland Stoves to put the record straight then ! 

Seriously though, setting the threshold at 20% is extreme. Just take a look at all the threads on here and it is claer that a 25% MC level would but a reasonable workable figure for all concerned. 5% MC may not sound a lot but its leaps apart when it comes to Firewood. However in terms of 'Particulate polution' levels, it is in fact negligible, when you factor in the additional ' Particulates' produced when people are being railroaded into forced drying. There is plenty of evidence based data out there if you care to take the time to research.

In addition - Where is the public consultation? !

I think the Woodburner manufacturers / retailers need to make their voice heard as well as producers.

Yes, if they had gone for 25% there would have been far more firms trying to comply. As it is many will give up or just go under the radar IMO. To go from no regulation at all to a tough if not near impossibly target without a kiln in one step seem plain daft.

Some good friends have just got out of the stove selling market and I think they have made a smart call as the costs of logs will have to go up and could go up a lot in areas where kilning will be the only option. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 05/03/2020 at 09:19, BowlandStoves said:

Has the stove industry not used a guidance figure of 20% for many years? If this is not sustainable then it might be difficult to change it to 25% now?

It will need a powerfull / influential ambassador for the industry to emerge if we are to stand any chance of persuading the Gov. to backtrack now.

As I have pointed out previously, DEFFRA had the consultation with the handfull of UK big players, who all force dry firewood and then set the 'Ready to burn' MC at a level that suits them perfectly but is totally unachievable for several months of the year for a large proportion of producers who naturally air dry.

As per usual, lack of consultation, finance and meeting targets by whatever ill-construed means is what comes to mind often where the Government is concerned.

So after C19 has levelled off with >100,000 UK lives lost, along with tax rises and Brexit implemented 1000's of firewood retailers will be impacted massively or forced to cease trading as their production process they have used for decades doesn't  meet the latest criteria.

Apologies for the reality check, but that is how I see the future chain of events going down in history.