Redwoods .. Widest & Tallest Trees (2020)

mdvaden

Starting a fresh thread about coast redwoods for 2020. First photo will be the tree below in Jedediah Smith park. The Mill Creek trail leading to it will be closed into 2020 for construction. Updates at this page link:

WWW.MDVADEN.COM

Grove of Titans Redwoods. Directions, Information and Photography. Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. Trails and Location.

Coast redwoods are both the tallest and widest diameter tree species. There is an Arbole del Tule cypress reported wider, but I am referring to complete entire columns of mass and wood, not buttressed trees with 40% air space within the circumference. The tallest and widest coast redwoods are solid and "entire" over 29 ft. wide at dbh and stretching over 386 ft. the full reach top to bottom. 

screaming_titans_mdv.jpg

Edited by mdvaden
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, CallumA said:

Mdvaden what would be the best park to see the redwoods as I'm over on holiday on the 4th July for 3 weeks.

This page of mine may help some:

WWW.MDVADEN.COM

Where to see the redwoods. Where to stay in the redwoods. The Best Redwood Hiking. Best Viewing.

The best place to see the most in a small space of time is Avenue of the Giants and Humboldt Redwoods State Park, just south of Eureka, California, and Redwood National and State Parks north of Eureka.

If you had just one day, either one works. If you have several days, try for at least one day in Humbold Redwoods, and a couple days north. I would suggest skipping "Redwood National Park" unless you have 4 days or a full week. Be sure to include Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park and Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.  There's enough in those for 3 days easy.

The photo below is the entrance to Cal-Barrel Rd. in Prairie Creek park. An extra place to park and wander around. The Octobery 2009 Nat Geo cover redwood is less than 1000 feet from this spot.

Cal_Bar_1800mdv.jpg

Edited by mdvaden
  • Like 4

This page of mine may help some:
WWW.MDVADEN.COM
Where to see the redwoods. Where to stay in the redwoods. The Best Redwood Hiking. Best Viewing.  
The best place to see the most in a small space of time is Avenue of the Giants and Humboldt Redwoods State Park, just south of Eureka, California, and Redwood National and State Parks north of Eureka.

If you had just one day, either one works. If you have several days, try for at least one day in Humbold Redwoods, and a couple days north. I would suggest skipping "Redwood National Park" unless you have 4 days or a full week. Be sure to include Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park and Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.  There's enough in those for 3 days easy.

The photo below is the entrance to Cal-Barrel Rd. in Prairie Creek park. An extra place to park and wander around. The Octobery 2009 Nat Geo cover redwood is less than 1000 feet from this spot.
Cal_Bar_1800mdv.thumb.jpg.2e4ba86e8d46e729f897b98f91dcad56.jpg
Thanks Mdvaden

• 3 weeks later...