Covid-19

Ratman

That’s what I don’t understand. There’s sod all to do except supermarket shopping!
I think people are going to each other’s houses. I know some of my neighbours are having parents/ friends visit.....
non of my business but it’s not going to help Covid bugger off is it!
Exactly my thoughts.

9 hours ago, sime42 said:
On 22/02/2021 at 19:14, Richard 1234 said:
I took the dog for a walk at 530 tonight and I couldn’t believe how much traffic was about on the way to the woods we go to. It was like pre Covid rush hour so no one is paying much attention here it seems.

Same where I live. I don't understand it at all; where are all the stupid buggers going to and from? With hospitality shut, non-essential shops shut, leisure facilities shut, schools shut etc, where is there to go? It's even busy in the middle of the day so can't just be people going to work and back.

They are all Amazon drivers 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Published: 22:05, 13 March 2021 | Updated: 08:09, 14 March 2021

It is one of the world’s most prevalent and widespread infections. No, not Covid-19 – the Epstein-Barr virus, which ‘lives’ silently in about 95 per cent of us.

Most people will never know they carry it, as it rarely causes any problems.

It’s spread via saliva, and is so contagious that most of us pick it up in early childhood. Sharing cutlery will pass it on, as will children who share each other’s toys.

But if we contract it later, as adolescents or young adults, Epstein-Barr can cause an illness: glandular fever.

As we age, the immune system develops, and this means it fights harder against the virus when coming into contact with it for the first time, leading to symptoms that can be debilitating. There’s the overwhelming fatigue, a high fever, a painful throat and swollen neck glands. Teens and students can be ill for months, sometimes unable to sit exams or study.

Regardless of when we pick up the virus, it stays with us for life – lying dormant in our immune cells for reasons scientists don’t yet fully understand.

So why are we talking about it now?

Well, a year after the start of the coronavirus pandemic, experts have made an intriguing discovery: blood tests on some sufferers of long Covid are coming back positive for ‘reactivated’ Epstein-Barr.

Around one in ten people who are hit by Covid end up as ‘long-haulers’, according to the Office for National Statistics, with some experiencing ongoing fatigue, breathlessness, muscle pain and brain fog for many months. For some, it has been longer than a year. The condition and its causes remain a mystery. Do the new findings mean some are actually suffering from a form of glandular fever? Doctors just don’t know.

But if it does hold true, it could have startling implications, opening up new avenues in treatment.

While most of us would test positive for antibodies to Epstein-Barr virus if we were given a blood test, these would be of a type that indicates the virus is there, but dormant.

Tests carried out on long Covid patients are recording another type of antibodies, ones that suggest that the virus has ‘woken up’ and the body is responding by fighting against it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, woodwizzard said:

Published: 22:05, 13 March 2021 | Updated: 08:09, 14 March 2021

It is one of the world’s most prevalent and widespread infections. No, not Covid-19 – the Epstein-Barr virus, which ‘lives’ silently in about 95 per cent of us.

Most people will never know they carry it, as it rarely causes any problems.

It’s spread via saliva, and is so contagious that most of us pick it up in early childhood. Sharing cutlery will pass it on, as will children who share each other’s toys.

But if we contract it later, as adolescents or young adults, Epstein-Barr can cause an illness: glandular fever.

As we age, the immune system develops, and this means it fights harder against the virus when coming into contact with it for the first time, leading to symptoms that can be debilitating. There’s the overwhelming fatigue, a high fever, a painful throat and swollen neck glands. Teens and students can be ill for months, sometimes unable to sit exams or study.

Regardless of when we pick up the virus, it stays with us for life – lying dormant in our immune cells for reasons scientists don’t yet fully understand.

So why are we talking about it now?

Well, a year after the start of the coronavirus pandemic, experts have made an intriguing discovery: blood tests on some sufferers of long Covid are coming back positive for ‘reactivated’ Epstein-Barr.

Around one in ten people who are hit by Covid end up as ‘long-haulers’, according to the Office for National Statistics, with some experiencing ongoing fatigue, breathlessness, muscle pain and brain fog for many months. For some, it has been longer than a year. The condition and its causes remain a mystery. Do the new findings mean some are actually suffering from a form of glandular fever? Doctors just don’t know.

But if it does hold true, it could have startling implications, opening up new avenues in treatment.

While most of us would test positive for antibodies to Epstein-Barr virus if we were given a blood test, these would be of a type that indicates the virus is there, but dormant.

Tests carried out on long Covid patients are recording another type of antibodies, ones that suggest that the virus has ‘woken up’ and the body is responding by fighting against it.

I had Glandular fever when I was about 20 . knocked the shit out of me for about 3 days . Apparently it takes 6 months to incubate . I do remember another apprentice having it about 6 months before me . Something tells me the test is to mix some of your blood with sheep's blood  and from that you can tell ...This bit might be bollox but that's what is in my head !

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

had Glandular fever when I was about 20 . knocked the shit out of me for about 3 days .

Hey I had it similarly during my A levels, it was known as the osculation  disease, I wonder where I got it ;-).

Yes like chicken pox virus I think it stays with you but then  there are more foreign bodies in the average human than their own cells. I believe somewhere along the line a virus spliced some of its DNA into the woman we are all descended from and made her x chromosome a bit longer.

• Like 2