Covid-19

Ratman

Much of the issue is sedentary life styles behind desks or steering wheels. I shed a stone in a few months after stopping being employed in a job that entailed driving and desk work. 

When I went from manufacturing and on my feet much of the day to a sales/desk/driving job, I stuck 2.5 stone on over 10 years. A couple of years working for myself, on my feet all day and those 2.5 stone came straight off with two stone rolling off in around 6 months.

One key difference between fat people and thin people is that thin people will have a big meal one day and then have a smaller meal the next day and take a long walk/exercise etc.

Fat/Obese people will most likely carry on eating and not take any exercise with the typical excuse that they can't walk any distance......really!!

How about doing 100yds day 1, 150 day 2, 200 day 3 etc.......that's how it works! We regularly do 6-8 mile walks, 3 miles is a stroll in our household - we also walk fast to get the most benefit from it!

We have to keep fit in these strange times!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stere said:

But thoose players a small % and far outnumbered by the just  plain obese/overweight &  the people  that claim its all muscle coz the did rugby once a week on saturday yrs ago etc   or have done weights a few times.

BMI is just a handy rough guide and doesn't take into account fitness. 

Sumo wrestlers and shot putters etc ......

I wasn’t talking about BMI.

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Don’t get me wrong, and Stere makes a valid point, that pubs (were!) full of fat bastards you used to ‘play a bit’.

Plenty of evidence at arb shows of blokes in their 50’s who still think they have a 32” waist!

Why you having a pop at me again!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Don’t get me wrong, and Stere makes a valid point, that pubs (were!) full of fat bastards you used to ‘play a bit’.

Plenty of evidence at arb shows of blokes in their 50’s who still think they have a 32” waist!

Don't forget the white vest and goatee beard to really show you're still young

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Stere said:

Think a little harsh on the fatties Big J

Some struggle for yrs trying to loose weight.

I know its as simple eat less but its hard do many to do. Western society may need   some radical changes that could do more to tackle the obesity epidemic than  individual willpower. Being overweight is so common now-  the new normal that many don't even class themselves overweight. As being healthly  now is regarded as looking skinny.

WWW.NATURE.COM

The prevalence of obesity has increased dramatically in recent years. As exposure to obesity increases, perceptions of what...

All western modern societies have an  obesity problem but its less in scandi countires maybe due to there politics.... E.g the prevalance  of cycling in Copenhagen.

Better school sports faucilities, ,make sports centres  free too use, improve cycle lanes "active travel" etc, get kids ans adults cycling and walking to school ans work etc. Activity  needs to be built into everyday lives....

Earlier  health interventions rather than just aceepting some kid looks like Chunk from the goonies. Making healthy food cheaper than junk food.

Just trying to say its not as straightforward as blaming the lazy fatties. 🙂

In a normal year about half the kids who go to the local primary school pass the front of my house. It cracks me up to see that the majority of them are obese and they are followed by their big unhealthy obese parents.

I have advocated free sports for kids for decades now as the benefits far outweigh any financial costs. The argument against that has always been about cost. This last year's expenditure has shown that where there is a political will there is a way.

From every small town upwards there should be big sports barns where sport could be played all year round so that the weather doesn't put people off. I'm not just talking about the football and rugby type sports as well. Everything from sailing to skiing and hockey to scuba diving. Teenage girls love dance. Nothing difficult in organising any of it. The capital costs may be a few quid in getting facilities built, but its creating employment as well.

Get kids hooked on sport at an early age and combine it with advice on diet, give them free proper food at sports weekends/camps. 

Think of the money saved from keeping them fit and active twenty or thirty years down the line. There are also the savings to be made from the social work/criminal justice side, decrease in property costs regarding bored teenagers and vandalism.

For anyone who doubts that this will work, I have actually been involved with youth earlier in my life for over 20 years. Property Services Dept in the council gave us £10k to devise some projects over the seven week holidays. They saved more than that due to the reduction in property repairs to public buildings. It was just unfortunate that these projects couldnt be expanded as nobody was willing to fund them.

It has to be the way forward.

• Like 9