Engineered oak

Al.

So, I'm in the middle of an extension to our cottage, part of which has been demolishing our bedroom and building a new one.  I had in mind that we were going to have a feature oak floor in there.  Actually, in my mind I was going to go off into the wilderness with my saw, fell and mill an oak, season it for a couple of years, thickness, cut and fit the boards; it was going to be perfect.  Filled with words of encouragement from my wife, like "you're a computer programmer you soppy twat", and "if i'm still sleeping in the lounge by this summer I'm divorcing you" I finally succumbed and thought I'll just get ready made boards, and than as I don't have time for it to sit for a couple of months, thought I'll get engineered oak and it'll look just as good.  So, I did my homework, selected a company that milled its own boards, and manufactured its own floor, looked at samples, looked at photos and ordered it.

When it arrived, I was expecting clean boards, with a few knots; filled or not.  What I've got are a lot of boards where the oak has split and there is a lot of filler in them, as per the photo.  I think out of the 60 or so boards, there's perhaps half a dozen with no filler in them.  I have complained, and been told that I won't even notice.

My question is; am I being a bit of a princess, and this is perfectly OK for engineered oak, and as good as it gets?  Or should I be sending it back?

Cheers.

IMG_20200223_073127.jpg

• Sad 1

That isn't an attractive split nicely filled is it?  Remember that if it was ordered without seeing you have the right to return it for a refund (you may possibly have to pay return postage).  And what is the faded bit on the right?  Can you get a better photo uploaded of a few different boards?

• Like 1