Snapped band

gobbypunk

Hi guys what have I done wrong this time, I was milling some WRC yesterday and the sound my mill makes changed slightly so I check everything I can think of and only having a few cuts left I cracked on then bang my band snapped,defo a learning curve as always looking forward to all your thoughts.

Thanks Mark 

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys what have I done wrong this time, I was milling some WRC yesterday and the sound my mill makes changed slightly so I check everything I can think of and only having a few cuts left I cracked on then bang my band snapped,defo a learning curve as always looking forward to all your thoughts.

Thanks Mark 

Tension is the first thing that springs to mind? Was it set to the recommended setting? 

Has is seen much 'pushing'? Maybe stressed it?

Did it snap at the weld? 

Is the Mill set up to within the manufacturers tolerances? Everything on mine is set up within a mill or so. More to do with the wavey cut issue I had initially. 

Im a total noob so disregard my advice as you see fit. :) 

42 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi yep all set up as should be and yes snapped at the weld as I am totally new to band milling it’s all a learning curve that’s for sure I need to spend a day with someone who has been using a bandmill for a while I think 

What we need is regulation put in place before anyone is allowed to use a Bandsaw. :P 

If it broke at the weld then (in my limited experience) its either;

1, manufacturer error.

2, over tensioned. 

3, incorrect alignment

4, end of its life, ie re-sharpened a few times. 

@Big J will have the correct answers though. :D 

I used to work for a guy with a Serra Bavaria, which had 6" wide bands. Lovely machine. We used to run about 6-8 bands on a rotation, he had a theory they needed to be rested after being used and sharpened, if they were used constantly would develop small cracks in the gullets and shortly afterwards BANG! Doesn't half make you jump when they let go.

On 22/02/2020 at 20:30, gobbypunk said:

Hi yep all set up as should be and yes snapped at the weld as I am totally new to band milling it’s all a learning curve that’s for sure I need to spend a day with someone who has been using a bandmill for a while I think 

What area are you gobby ?? Sorry dorset daft me, Bit far or would have been glad to help 

Edited by topchippyles