I'm looking at an oldish transit tipper. Any advice?

Con

Funny you should say that Khriss, I had to whack 40psi in the offside front of my 06 plate yesterday before work!

I think the lads have covered most of the main issues.

My truck has been very reliable, but the DMF shat itself a few years back so I had it swapped out for a solid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had 2 Transits in the past last one was a 125 model but would,nt pull the skin of a rice pudding, sold last transit about 10 years ago and bought a Nissan cabstar 3 ltr engine pulls like a steam train and as of the 10yrs i have owned it it has had very little spent on it, and as Roughhewn said 40mph uphill and thats what mine was like, all so another thing to look at is Transits are very nickable and very easy to get rid of once broken up, have a look at insurance quotes first, i went from transit at £620 a year to a Cabstar at £182 a year i think that should tell you something, cabstar is pulling a 10ft Ifor tipper about with both truck and trailer loaded and it dont struggle one bit,

20180707_082741.jpg

• Like 1

Had 2 Transits in the past last one was a 125 model but would,nt pull the skin of a rice pudding, sold last transit about 10 years ago and bought a Nissan cabstar 3 ltr engine pulls like a steam train and as of the 10yrs i have owned it it has had very little spent on it, and as Roughhewn said 40mph uphill and thats what mine was like, all so another thing to look at is Transits are very nickable and very easy to get rid of once broken up, have a look at insurance quotes first, i went from transit at £620 a year to a Cabstar at £182 a year i think that should tell you something, cabstar is pulling a 10ft Ifor tipper about with both truck and trailer loaded and it dont struggle one bit,
20180707_082741.thumb.jpg.1a116a8add7a7064d36b14cb8b4dfd30.jpg

You doing half loads now?
[emoji848]
  • Like 2

If you do buy a transit there’s a guy near Heathrow airport who remaps them. He did my 2003 90 and it puts the power at around the 125 mark. 
I bought mine 3 and a bit years ago with 52k miles from new, just rolled over to 71k. Chassis is mint still, engine pulls well when fully loaded with chip and in the three years it’s cost me around £500 to keep it on the road. That includes tyres, breaks etc.......

Just trying to decide if I keep it and get the cab blown over to neaten it up or if I buy a much newer van to help with tax bills. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tim361 said:

If you do buy a transit there’s a guy near Heathrow airport who remaps them. He did my 2003 90 and it puts the power at around the 125 mark. 
I bought mine 3 and a bit years ago with 52k miles from new, just rolled over to 71k. Chassis is mint still, engine pulls well when fully loaded with chip and in the three years it’s cost me around £500 to keep it on the road. That includes tyres, breaks etc.......

Just trying to decide if I keep it and get the cab blown over to neaten it up or if I buy a much newer van to help with tax bills. 

It's a no brainer for me, if you've got a ten year old tipper that does the job and isn't exspensive to maintain, keep it. If you need to loose money for tax reasons buy something that makes you money.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tim361 said:

Got a number for him? As I understand it it’s not just a remap on that vintage- you’d need new turbo and inter cooler as they are not common rail.