How do you air dry your wood down to 20% ??

cessna

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Simple?
A wood gasifier with screw fed wood chip is big.
Really big, like a shipping container.
Then you still need a CHP?
And a drying floor????
Simple is a woodburner mate.

Simple gravity fed hopper into thermal plate dryer (gas given off as part of drying process no gasifier) with ordinary gas fired engine driving generator. No drying floor thats what the thermal oil plate dryer does.

Simple gravity fed hopper into thermal plate dryer (gas given off as part of drying process no gasifier) with ordinary gas fired engine driving generator. No drying floor thats what the thermal oil plate dryer does.

Nope.
Syn gas is not given off during drying.
Has to reach temperatures of several hundred centrigrade to gasify.
How hot is your drier?

6 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I'm an armchair fan of the resurge of interest in wood gasifiers.
I'd love to run a tiny power station 20-30kw 3ph
Can be done quite easily with enough time.
emoji106.png

I think time is the critical part.  I have looked into this over the years, there is a company in California called All Power Labs who produce exactly what you speak of = a turnkey palletised gasifier and generator set all ready to go.  I downloaded the manual for it a few years ago, and after the first four or five pages of startup procedure I realised it was not suitable for people like me.  It seems to sell mainly to remote areas where they have lots of time, free fuel and no other option!  My needs sadly have to be met by a diesel genny for the forseeable future.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Got any photos/videos?
Sounds very interesting.
Could you start a new thread about it?
I'm sure there are quite a few on here who'd be interested to learn more.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

No different to the system outlined on here back in 2013. Still waiting for HMRC approval for the fuel made from the torrefied wood.

I think time is the critical part.  I have looked into this over the years, there is a company in California called All Power Labs who produce exactly what you speak of = a turnkey palletised gasifier and generator set all ready to go.  I downloaded the manual for it a few years ago, and after the first four or five pages of startup procedure I realised it was not suitable for people like me.  It seems to sell mainly to remote areas where they have lots of time, free fuel and no other option!  My needs sadly have to be met by a diesel genny for the forseeable future.

It part of my retirement plan. [emoji106]