Is this unreasonable?

JackR

Plenty more where they 

2 minutes ago, Khriss said:

...... Until every good one  twigs his shitty attitude an he iz advertising fr staff.. Been there - seen their business' fold. K

Not staff, freelance climbers, never ending supply of them. 

Get some of your own work, then you’ve something to fall back on.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

I've been on the short end of this.
When I was greener, I'd take shut like that.
Now you book x days you pay x days.
It's in an email.
Of course it's very negotiable fir the decent contractors.
And yes I have ended up trimming hedges for mrs Miggins to fill up the week.
Best advice is Dempsey's,
Get your own thing going.

Working for decent arb firms however will teach you many different ways of doing the same thing.
Great experience.

Where you based?
[emoji106]

Plenty more where they 
Not staff, freelance climbers, never ending supply of them. 

Get some of your own work, then you’ve something to fall back on.
I have to differ with you there mick there isn't a never ending supply of decent ones there is allot of ones that have just started out and fancy them selves as a subi climber! I do both run my business and do subi climbing out of choice I find climbing for other companies a bit of a break from the stress of staff and customers and all other stuff that comes with my own work ! I am no cheap as a subi or willing to be messed about but the companies I work for no that I am flexible if I can be to help them and like wise i would expect them to offer that in return if they think u are just a employee that they don't have to give holidays to and can just let u down when they have booked u in then I would move on ! but u need confidence in your skills and what u are offering plenty of pretenders unfortunately
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Khriss said:

No Mick. Word gets around - i actually still am baffled why anyone would treat good blokes like that. But if they do - they loose out. K

Yes Kriss,

If you land the work, you’ll find the workers. There’s a steady stream of young climbers/workers being trained, desperate for experience.

Yes it is unreasonable, but as Dempsey says it's part of being a subbie. Last November I was approached by a company asking me to block three days a week out of my diary until Christmas, I got the three days and most of those 8-9 weeks I got five days a week, I'd dare bet if work had dropped off for them my guaranteed 3 days a week would have been soon forgotten.

• Like 1

I would talk to the guy you contract to about the situation, if he’s a dick about it then I’d be on the phone to all the other local tree guy’s drumming up new contacts once in a good position you can sack off the dickheads and bad payers and work who you want to work for. Shitty situation for you bud, but good luck.

• Like 4