Is this unreasonable?

JackR

After reading that, my honest opinion is that JackR sounds like a run of the mill snowflake chancer (and that's not neccesarily a slur on him, perhaps it just reflects today's upbringing and society). Andrew sounds like a decent bloke. But that's just based upon what I've read.

Maybe 10% of lads these days will be grateful for any time you give them helping them learn, and show an interest. 90% of these then go on to become their own boss, and have to deal with the 90% of young lads who think they're worth top money just for turning up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 5 shires said:

You sound like a decent type of bloke and seemed to like this lad so there could be a good future in him subbieing for you long term..but surely you made enough out the job and if you paid the lad 2 1/2 days surely to save all this shit you could have payed him the other 1/2 and had a up and coming decent climber/worker for future jobs and has for cutting through your strop that’s not the end of the world is it...you even said yourself the job went really well so what’s the real issue?just pay the lad his full 3 days and everyone one walks away happy ffs the jobs harder enough has it is with out arguments over 1/2 days pay or is it the principal? If so that makes it even worse...if you get a rep for not paying what you should word spreads quickly in this game and you may find next time it won’t be so easy to get someone.inconculsion i’am not taking sides here but if I was a teacher I would bang your heads together and tell you to stop being childish.

If I'm reading it right then Andrew gave Jack the landscaping work. Didn't tell the client yes, £XXX per day and then pay Jack £XX. Just gave him the job. So half day for Monday is fair enough in my book.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments: I realised when I chose to respond that that was an element of "airing my laundry in public" but I am new to running a business and I wanted to know if the forum did feel I was doing the wrong thing.

My first year of business has been a steep, no vertical learning curve.  Although mostly positive, I have made mistakes, particularly with quoting jobs and have been financially out of pocket because of it.  As a result, I tend to try to work out how long a job might take with how many guys and then add a safety net for unforeseen problems and price accordingly.  Before I read Jack's post, I had not given that job another thought.  Customer very happy, team happy: all good.  So it is interesting to read everyone's comments and perspective, both positive and negative.

However I will say to those who do not run a business, that money the company earns does not go to me, it goes to the company.  I can honestly say I have never been as poor as this last year despite the company doing well.  Why? Because almost every time we make any money it goes straight back into the company to pay for updating equipment, paying off business loans, training etc etc.  I pay myself virtually nil.  Just enough to pay the rent.  Not complaining: I am poor but happy.

A

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

Thanks for all the comments: I realised when I chose to respond that that was an element of "airing my laundry in public" but I am new to running a business and I wanted to know if the forum did feel I was doing the wrong thing.

My first year of business has been a steep, no vertical learning curve.  Although mostly positive, I have made mistakes, particularly with quoting jobs and have been financially out of pocket because of it.  As a result, I tend to try to work out how long a job might take with how many guys and then add a safety net for unforeseen problems and price accordingly.  Before I read Jack's post, I had not given that job another thought.  Customer very happy, team happy: all good.  So it is interesting to read everyone's comments and perspective, both positive and negative.

However I will say to those who do not run a business, that money the company earns does not go to me, it goes to the company.  I can honestly say I have never been as poor as this last year despite the company doing well.  Why? Because almost every time we make any money it goes straight back into the company to pay for updating equipment, paying off business loans, training etc etc.  I pay myself virtually nil.  Just enough to pay the rent.  Not complaining: I am poor but happy.

A

Poor isn't a bad thing, it concentrates the mind, especially if you've got a house/family to keep. I don't do much of my own work, when I do I go in high, if the client doesn't want it I'll kick about the yard, horses for courses has ever.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 2

On 21/02/2020 at 18:46, JackR said:

Hi, 

So I'm a subbie that's relatively new to the arb world but I'm encountering a scenario that seems to keep cropping up. It'd be great to get an opinion from a wider audience. 

The job that I've just come off had 3 days on it. We're 2 days in and 80% done. Happy days. Except not for me or the other subbie that was on the job. One of us isn't getting that third day's wage. Fortunately for me the other guy doesn't fancy it on Monday. However this could just as easily have gone the other way. It's happened before and it's killing me financially.  

My question for all of you is this: If I am booked for 3 days am I within my rights to insist on 3 days worth of money? Is this something that Sub-Contractors typically have to deal with and I must simply get over it? 

I appreciate your thoughts

1: Sit down and draw up a specific set of terms and conditions which you can add to your correspondence with your contractors. Make sure you contact your contractor in writing (emails do count!) With your terms and conditions clearly included and they respond/accept in writing. 

2: If you believe you have been underpaid, contact the client, in writing stating what you are owed and why. 

3: USE THE SMALL CLAIMS COURT! people like us are why it exists!

I was given this advice by a lady from trading standards and the police who were pulling commercial vehicles over to tell them this a couple of years ago on the way out of Colchester. The emphasis was on doing our business in writing!