Wood burners: Most polluting fuels to be banned in the home

arboriculturist

14 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

What sense would that be?

"....Similarly, sales of wet wood in units of under 2m3 will be restricted from sale from February 2021, allowing for existing stocks to be used up. Wet wood sold in volumes greater than 2m3 will need to be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning from this date..."

WWW.GOV.UK

Sales of house coal and wet wood in England will be phased out from next year to cut pollution

43 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

"....Similarly, sales of wet wood in units of under 2m3 will be restricted from sale from February 2021, allowing for existing stocks to be used up. Wet wood sold in volumes greater than 2m3 will need to be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning from this date..."

WWW.GOV.UK

Sales of house coal and wet wood in England will be phased out from next year to cut pollution

Unbelievable bullshit big brother nanny state bollocks. Ok buy 2.1 cube  then. 

Disgusted that this is the sort of shite that tax payers money gets wasted on. 
In the meantime the power stations at drax and Lynemouth etc etc keep making there owners millions burning wood in Lynemouths case shipped from Canada ?????An unfortunate surname when in reality the cretins are those running this whole ridiculous set up ????

A508EE4E-F66F-4ED0-A71F-3E4ECFCC2992.png

558F9D1A-16ED-4A0D-B434-5A0278445788.png

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

Now people this is far from new and well overdue.

This is part of the Europe Wide Eco Design initive designed to reduce emissions and increase efficiency,  its been coming for at least 4 years.    There is also a proposed ban on high sulpher man made smokeless fuels but maybe thats been dropped as its not being kicked around today.

As a stove retailer I get called out 3 or 4 times a year to a stove that is not generating the expected level of heat,  this has ALWAYS been caused by users burning wood that is wet.    Even kiln dried wood that has not been in a kiln for long enough ( so dry on the outside but wet in the middle) is being dished out in the market.   I went out Boxing day evening to take some logs to a single mother who had been given a load of kiln dried for Xmas that was 40% in the middle.

This is good news for people in the firewood industry who do a good job and sell dry wood,  if you sell green wood as ready to burn you will be in trouble.   Future sales of green will need to be 3 cu m or more and sold as that and the evidence recorded.    At the end of the day its not that hard to get seasoned wood below 20%,   split it and store under cover in a barn that is open on at least 2 sides,  leave it for 8 months or so and there you are.  

I bring in kiln dried from Lithuania yes.   stacked in crates,  easy to handle, around 100 quid for the equiv of 1.6 cu m if loose, and no processing.   MC is under 5% from my supplier.   I get three stacked crates onto my trailer so thats 575/630 quids worth of wood depending on species of timber,    with seasoned I get 2 x 1.2 cu m bags at 125,   so only 250 worth on a load.    Whats not to like.

I also sell seasoned from wood off local farms,  I have given up trying to buy decent processor size cord as I posted last week.  Paying 85 a ton plus VAT delivered that will make 1.5 cu m of logs after processing is not really any cheaper and the resale price and margin is lower as every idiot with a chainsaw is chopping prices for beer money.  My little processor single handed does about 6 cube a day on farm waste and 10 on 3m first thinnings,

The regulations will be tightened further in 2025 and possibly again in 2030 not that the latter will bother me  to much,  I will be long dead by then.  

You all might not see it this way but this is good news for the wood burning industry,

A

Edited by Alycidon
  • Like 2

1. buy container (chinese peoples republic or PRC) full of 9v wood moisture detectors.the ones that only read 17%.

these were available 10yrs ago.

2.most log buyers do know the difference between seasoned wood.

3..what idiot burns green wood anyway?

4.after paying the costs/fees associated with the government laws mebe we could raise the cost of logs per load so it is worth doing finally..

i bust a gut working coppice in decent hardwood woodlands between tree surgery with no help like farmers recieve yet we are guardians of the countryside and actively promote regeneration,unlike the arable/dairy/meat industry with all the chemical and diesel fuel involved...thats my rant over..g'day

• Like 7

like farmers recieve yet we are guardians of the countryside and actively promote regeneration,unlike the arable/dairy/meat industry with all the chemical and diesel fuel involved...thats my rant over..g'day

Without regeneration farmers wouldn’t exist.

how many farms do you know whow promote their woodlands and hedgerows? without subsidies

Promote? It’s a simple choice really, give the farmers the dough or the supermarkets, won’t change the economy much, just depends if you want any money in the rural sector or just cut it out an drop it like a hot potato.
It does matter.

1 hour ago, Alycidon said:

You all might not see it this way but this is good news for the wood burning industry,

Not sure it is. Plenty of good sellers like ourselves who's logs are just over the 20% mark due to local climate or limitation of storage space. We sell great logs and they burn well but wont be compliant. Now who is going to fill the gap? I suspect the fresh cut cash in hand boys who will remain under the radar. Dont  under estimate the size  of this part of the market as there are a lot of these sellers out there. So we may end up with more crap logs (paying no taxes) or kiln dried imports, fricking great! 

• Like 7