Wood burners: Most polluting fuels to be banned in the home

arboriculturist

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Sell logs below 20%

Sell logs that need seasoning in quantities greater than 2 cube but I take it 2.05 cube would be OK. Oh and leave a note on how to season them. You could probably deliver these orders in small batches like 1m3

Sell wood for garden habitat piles that happen to come in handy 9" lengths

Keep your head down

Give up and do something more profitable with your time 

Or.....

Just ignore it all and carry on regardless. 

In real terms, who’s going to police / audit it...?  Trading standards? 

If you don’t subscribe to the cert system and you deliver unseasoned or not 20% MC, it just needs a note saying “...don’t burn until <20%. 

Until folk start ignoring bad ‘policy’ they’ll just keep on pumping out bad policy. 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Or.....

Just ignore it all and carry on regardless. 

In real terms, who’s going to police / audit it...?  Trading standards? 

If you don’t subscribe to the cert system and you deliver unseasoned or not 20% MC, it just needs a note saying “...don’t burn until <20%. 

Until folk start ignoring bad ‘policy’ they’ll just keep on pumping out bad policy. 

I thought I covered that one with "keep your head down"

Would the Cert bodies not be interested in policing this? They are the ones who will profit so they will want maximum compliance. Not sure what powers they might have though.

I honestly think the presure should be on the end polluter not on the fuel supplier. We could provide perfect logs kiln dried to 10%  but if they are then burnt by a numpty on an open fire mixed with fresh logs from the garden (or telegraph poles as I saw today) its all a waste of time. I dont know the break down but from what I see I suspect the majority of air pollution is made by a minority so they are the ones that should be targeted. Not easy I grant you but far fairer.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 2

Yes, it would be right to target the end user to ensure that they are burning dry wood. You can sell me wood at 10% moisture, say a tonne a month, but then dump it on my drive. Some months it might stay below 20% moisture, but this week, I'd be lucky to bring any wood from outside that wasn't dripping wet. The retailer cn do al thy want but at the end of the day the customers actions keep the wood dry or not.

However, political comment, the governmet isn't interested in what is right just interested in the bottom line and how they can profit (and they will, simplest that costs go up so they get mre VAT) (look at recent policies - and not so recent - of 'can't fix it, tax it (Sugar tax, plastiv bag, Scottish minimum alcohol pricing , cigarette duties, beer duties...)

• Like 1

Whats loose stacked?

Think they mean what they call a bulk m3 here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiarL7jo-fnAhXPTsAKHZupCckQFjABegQIBRAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.biomasstradecentre2.eu%2Fscripts%2Fdownload.php%3Ffile%3D%2Fdata%2Fpdf_vsebine%2Fliterature%2Fwood_fuels_handbook.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0tYU2uDGuAmyy9gzAvADgP

This has so good info also:

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Interesting graph showing moisture  %  in different  tree species over the year, and also the moisture in firewood stored going up & down due to relative humidity

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does the government not realise the impact of fossil fueled kilns running 24hrs a day pumping out pollution, then for the logs to be shipped thousands of miles on plane or by sea. It's far better for the environment that people buy locally seasoned wood that has come from trees felled close by. This way the carbon footprint is massively reduced. I do welcome the ban of selling wet wood though. Why anyone would want to burn wet wood is beyond me.

This won't really affect most of us here who sell our own air dried wood to the locals. I'm pretty sure that the government know they can't realistically police it. Far easier to police it in places like B&Q, garden centres and petrol stations, but the local tree surgeon carrying a few bags of logs in their truck, there are many excuses that could be used if one was to get pulled by the police.

Carry on selling your air dried logs guys! I won't be stopping anytime soon.

• Like 5

We shall see but I'm interested in the position I have, and I suspect there are others on here the same, who donate to a local tree surgeon/landscape gardener in return for arb waste from local gardens for my home use.  I use more than 2m^3 per year but delivered as it comes off the job as an when convenient to him so well under 2m^2 per delivery.  A similar system to the "tip sites" system linked from this site.  Strictly it is not firewood being traded but the end use in most cases will end up on the fire (after processing and air drying).

I think it comes down the the definition of logs in these new regulations.  I'm hoping that arb waste is not covered but that could be a huge loop hole at the same time.

Edited by Rob_the_Sparky

I'm interested likewise, although I collect mine from my befriended tree surgeon's convenient waste stack, he texts me when there's decent stuff there.  I have also signed up to the tip site directory just this weekend.

I'm confident ARB waste would not be affected by this bill, it's not a ready to burn fuel by any description.  I'm not quite sure how the bill will affect me and other scroungers.... Ready to burn wood will cost a bit more and some that currently buy may be turned to scrounging and competing with me, but I suspect life may actually get much easier.  The tree surgeon's that do a few tens of cube of firewood to keep busy on slow days and the other smaller scale guys processing ARB waste aren't likely to bother with wood sure certificates and many may give it up, thereby increasing the supply of ARB waste for scroungers like me.  Overall though, I suspect any change will be slow and slight.

On 21/02/2020 at 20:02, Johnsond said:

Unbelievable bullshit big brother nanny state bollocks. Ok buy 2.1 cube  then. 

Disgusted that this is the sort of shite that tax payers money gets wasted on. 
In the meantime the power stations at drax and Lynemouth etc etc keep making there owners millions burning wood in Lynemouths case shipped from Canada ?????An unfortunate surname when in reality the cretins are those running this whole ridiculous set up ????

A508EE4E-F66F-4ED0-A71F-3E4ECFCC2992.png

558F9D1A-16ED-4A0D-B434-5A0278445788.png

There is no sign of these massive industrial scale setups burning sub 20% woodchip any time soon!