Wood burners: Most polluting fuels to be banned in the home

arboriculturist

They interviewed a professional log seller on the news tonight . Who explained he bought his cord two years ago so now it’s ready for cutting up and sending out ?

How is that kiln dried .

Also when we sold logs and bought in cord I found beech left in the stick for two years was still 35% in the middle. The best way  to season was to process green and barn store in crates for a year or two or put in a poly tunnel.

i don’t think logs up north reading 20-25% is a problem it’s the 40% green stuff that needs cracking down on 

Edited by gensetsteve
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Not sure it is. Plenty of good sellers like ourselves who's logs are just over the 20% mark due to local climate or limitation of storage space. We sell great logs and they burn well but wont be compliant. Now who is going to fill the gap? I suspect the fresh cut cash in hand boys who will remain under the radar. Dont  under estimate the size  of this part of the market as there are a lot of these sellers out there. So we may end up with more crap logs (paying no taxes) or kiln dried imports, fricking great! 

I am a one man band, I do my best to keep them dry as I can, repeat customers, sell around 750-800cube air dried a year, I have a barn that I can fit around 250 cube. The first 250cube under 20% no problem, the rest probably looking at 22-28%. This season has been hard with how wet it has been. I need to sell the volume to make it pay, I have heavy invested to make the job and product better. I have a young family my other half works as well. The return on logs aren’t great but I enjoy what I do! I am reluctant to join woodsure as;

1. I cannot meet requirements.

2. It will put the price of the logs up at least £4 per load with a headache.

3. I am not investing 40000 for a kiln, would your customers be willing to pay extra 40quid per load?

I will be having to put up prices for next season, as the wood has gone up as there is a hungry biomass plant putting energy in the grid! 

I will have to do away with our half loads, a new 2.01cube load hopefully vat will still be classed as fuel, will have to be sold with a leaflet saying how to dry my logs! ? 

I go to great effort to keep the logs dry but I know a few of my customers keep the logs outside!

The world we live in is click and collect and next day delivery! When its cold amazing how hot my phone is. Buy your logs in the summer too be below 20%

in a nutshell we need to burn wood to dry wood, so it is ready to burn! Seriously makes you think on how eco friendly that is! 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

More Scaremongering from the Press. 

Will still be allowed to purchase 2 cubes of wet/green wood at a time. How many folk buy more than this in one go? If they do they Im sure they could have the load split over a few days, nudge nudge wink wink. :D 

I thought the proposal/law says sub 25%? Thats easy to achieve with Air Drying in the UK. 

Apart from the fact its gonna be neigh impossible to police I cant see it making much difference to anyone. 

Watch out for the roadside moisture test. ?

9 minutes ago, defender tipper said:

So can anyone put me straight please,in laymans terms

all getting a bit confusing, I season my wood in the stick for a year or so,cut split then barn store for the summer,then it goes out in the winter,around 20%mc

can I carry on or what?or will I be brakeing the law after 2021? Cheers!

As I understand it if you are selling less than 600 cube a season you have until Feb 2022 but if more than that your logs have to below 20% by Feb 2021

1 hour ago, defender tipper said:

Thaks for that,we sold 225 cube to date this year,so what will happe in 2022?

what will I need to do?

Sell logs below 20%

Sell logs that need seasoning in quantities greater than 2 cube but I take it 2.05 cube would be OK. Oh and leave a note on how to season them. You could probably deliver these orders in small batches like 1m3

Sell wood for garden habitat piles that happen to come in handy 9" lengths

Keep your head down

Give up and do something more profitable with your time 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 3

I was under the impression that you had to join woodsure, for any thing under 2 cube and moisture must be under 20%, or sell more than 2 cube at one time and give a leaflet on how to dry and store it even if you are below 20% or higher??

found it gov website 

• wood sold in single units under 2m3(loose stacked) must have a moisture content of 20% or less

Whats loose stacked?

Edited by Steve2011