PulleySaver Vs FimbleClimb

ThePecha7

Hi, I’m new to climbing (3 months in) and new a new member here, although I’ve been lurking for a while.

I’m looking to get some kind of friction saver and have narrowed it down to either a pulley saver or a fimble climb.

I’m climbing ddrt right now with a hitch climber and want something mainly for pole work. A device to wrap around the pole so i can lower myself down on my main line, retrieve it, tie in, cut a log off and repeat.

What would you recommend and why? It’s mainly for pole work but it would be used for dismantling big hard woods also.

Cheers

Hi, hope you are enjoying being a climber!

For what you describe ie pole dismantling I just use my rope around the tree and a flipline, just work them both down the stem ,then chog the next section down and repeat until it can be felled. Maybe I misunderstood what you mean.

The pulley saver is good for ascent or moving round the canopy, i've never heard of a fimble saver. Generally I just use a cambium saver for ddrt/mrt or if its a big tree SRT.

jan.

• Like 1

Art Rope guide works really well for choking around a flush stem for pole work.

Would advise you though to get use to spiking up and down the tree with your weight being in you lanyard/ flip line rather than always having a higher anchor point. It’s a valuable skill which takes a bit of getting use to especially on leaning/ skinny trees but ultimately it will make you a better and more efficient climber [emoji1303]

• Like 4

I also climb with a hitchclimber, and my suggestion would be a multisaver, which is the three ring version, rather than pulley.

Having a little bit of friction at the top is not all bad, as it takes some load off the friction hitch when descending and so helps reduce tendency to bind up. I think a pulley is ok on mechanical device eg zigzag but I've never been won over when trying them out.

Hi, hope you are enjoying being a climber!

For what you describe ie pole dismantling I just use my rope around the tree and a flipline, just work them both down the stem ,then chog the next section down and repeat until it can be felled. Maybe I misunderstood what you mean.

The pulley saver is good for ascent or moving round the canopy, i've never heard of a fimble saver. Generally I just use a cambium saver for ddrt/mrt or if its a big tree SRT.

jan.

Thanks for the reply, I am enjoying it yes. I do live in Scotland though climbing in the rain and snow is the only thing I’ve not liked about it so far!

Heres a pic of the fimble saver
IMG_9193.jpg

• Like 1

Art Rope guide works really well for choking around a flush stem for pole work.

Would advise you though to get use to spiking up and down the tree with your weight being in you lanyard/ flip line rather than always having a higher anchor point. It’s a valuable skill which takes a bit of getting use to especially on leaning/ skinny trees but ultimately it will make you a better and more efficient climber [emoji1303]

Hi Townsend

Yeah I completely agree with getting used to spiking up and down, which I am doing and slowly getting used to. I was taught to really stab my gaffs into the tree but after gaffing out a few times I’ve found just gently walking up to be a better option for me.

I also climb with a hitchclimber, and my suggestion would be a multisaver, which is the three ring version, rather than pulley.

Having a little bit of friction at the top is not all bad, as it takes some load off the friction hitch when descending and so helps reduce tendency to bind up. I think a pulley is ok on mechanical device eg zigzag but I've never been won over when trying them out.

Hey Dan,
The multisaver was what I was originally going to order. But after a google search I found a majority preferring the fimble climb to the multisaver? Then I found the pulley saver which added another option and drove me to make this post.

I get what you are saying about friction though so maybe the pulley saver is not the best option.

On a side note I did get a chance to use a zigzag on srt all day for a dismantle this week and quite liked it so I may buy one at some point!