Recommendations please for alternative to Stihl ms211

Silu

The 

1 hour ago, peatff said:

Is the engine dying or is it still revving when the chain stops cutting ? Could be fuel, compression or if it's still revving the clutch would be suspect. Get a phone video of what's happening might give more ideas and your location in your profile would help if anyone local would know.

Thank you peatff.Hmm doesn’t sound promising. I very much doubt it’s a fuel problem and from what you are saying it’s looking favourite that it is a compression ie terminal problem as the engine does cut out when the chain stops cutting. Looks like the credit card is going to take a hit ☹️, oh well the amount we save by sourcing and processing wood for the burners saves us a fortune in heating costs. I live near Perth in Scotland. If friend has no luck I will take a video of the problem. Can I post a video on this forum? Again thank you for trying to help, much appreciated.

Read this thread on another 211 doing the same,  read it again ....

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/118620-stihl-ms211c-problem-with-power-in-the-cut/

And note the only thing that moved this on to something that people could understand and offer sensibIe advice about was posting a video of the saw misbehaving. Took several requests for a video there, guess it'll be the same here.

What is your location ?

22 hours ago, bmp01 said:

Read this thread on another 211 doing the same,  read it again ....

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/118620-stihl-ms211c-problem-with-power-in-the-cut/

And note the only thing that moved this on to something that people could understand and offer sensibIe advice about was posting a video of the saw misbehaving. Took several requests for a video there, guess it'll be the same here.

What is your location ?

Thank you bmp01. Funnily enough I found a video of the same saw with similar problem to mine on this very useful site. Spudulike made lots of useful suggestions and his first 1 was about the throttle. Mine has a lot of play/ seems quite loose so it could well be the problem. My mechanically minded friend has taken the saw away to see if he can find the problem and I sent him the link re what could be the issue. It it is the throttle I owe Spudulike a “ large 1”. ? Fingers crossed it can be sorted.

Here's a post taken from the above thread regarding throttle linkage operation that might be useful to your our your mechsnically minded friend. ....

"Its a weird setup on these... the link is made to twist when you pull the trigger, the link is bent into a shape so that it acts as a cam which pushes on the carb lever. Twisting the link can take out play....

The wire link wears, the nylon block on the carburettor arm wears and the throttle rod can become dislodged from its location in the handle, then you only get half throttle movement.

My favourite hate is the cover for the throttle trigger with its protruding piece of plastic that keeps the linkage located in the handle - it's often broken off during reassembled. Result is notchy, half throttle movement. There have been several threads on here about this, new cover fixes the problem until the next time its taken apart and subsequently broken....."

To reiterate: a small twist of the throttle rod can take out the play in the mechanism.

?Thank you all for your useful suggestions regarding my Stihl chainsaw. It’s fixed?. Friend who is a motor mechanic discovered it was the carburettor that was the issue. He has replaced it but thInks he can repair the original. He just doesn’t have the time atm to do it. Delighted as the saw had been a good workhorse for what I need for a few years and having bought a new bar and starter motor for it I was loathed to wave it goodbye.

I was very impressed with all the knowledgeable suggestions you gave me which helped with sorting the problem.Again many thanks. Off out to cut up 3 huge branches off a Cedar Altlantia Glauca which fell, literally ! ,victim to the recent storms.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm the joy of the chainsaw being fixed was short lived.It did improve a bit with a new carburettor but pretty well back to square 1 now.I would put up a video but the mechanic pal has taken it away again to see if he can find the problem. With lock down any minute I want to use the time to clear up a lot of dead wood so need a working chainsaw. I have put a new bar, starter motor and carburettor in the Stihl 211 and still no joy with it grr. I am looking at buying a Husqvarna 450 as it has an 18 inch bar which would be better for the job than the Stihl that is not working properly.

Grateful if anybody could recommend what I am thinking of buying. I see there is a 445 and a mk11 450 but clueless as to which is the best bet. Thanks