Stolen saws and kit bag

DTaylor

2 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

They represent enough of a deterrent to keep me out (coupled with the fact that I have no criminal intentions in the first place). 
They obviously don’t deter serial offenders though, which is the crux of the problem as far as I’m concerned.

So you are commenting on a subject you know nothing of?

The crux of the problem is the prison system, please take my word on this one, I've seen it first hand. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

So you are commenting on a subject you know nothing of?

The crux of the problem is the prison system, please take my word on this one, I've seen it first hand. 

Just because he hasn't been inside doesn't mean he has no idea, Eggs. I haven't given birth, but I know it hurts! Most of us have met or known blokes who've done time, some have learnt their lesson, others have no chance of changing, either through circumstances or choice. Give people a chance is my motto, only once though. I suspect most lads on here, and no Sam, I'm not being sexist, have done things they aren't proud of. I know I certainly have in the past. You seem to have got a grip on your life, I applaud that, but many haven't. The thought of going to prison kept me from going too far.

• Like 4

Eggsarascal, been thinking about this and I'm interested to hear your opinion on implementing the rehabilitation of offenders?

Personally, I have not served a sentence (was lucky not to as a youngster) but I had many friends who were in and out, and did my fair share of picking up the pieces from their decisions.

I don't think any of them were interested in rehabilitation, they were all pretty sure about their chosen path and apparently quite proud of themselves. Granted a longer term sentence would take the spring out of their step but not for long.

Mostly they were educated, had proved they could hold long term employment etc but they chose the other path.

Is it possible to rehabilitate someone against their will, and how?

11 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Eggsarascal, been thinking about this and I'm interested to hear your opinion on implementing the rehabilitation of offenders?

Personally, I have not served a sentence (was lucky not to as a youngster) but I had many friends who were in and out, and did my fair share of picking up the pieces from their decisions.

I don't think any of them were interested in rehabilitation, they were all pretty sure about their chosen path and apparently quite proud of themselves. Granted a longer term sentence would take the spring out of their step but not for long.

Mostly they were educated, had proved they could hold long term employment etc but they chose the other path.

Is it possible to rehabilitate someone against their will, and how?

Probably not, that doesn't take away from the fact that the prison system doesn't even try to rehabilitate those that could be helped.