Environment bill 2020

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I never realised there were 2 systems. Do we actually know which system they are using? Also I never seen this mentioned with moisture meters. Mine is I think developed for furniture but cant be sure

The  quote @Paul in the woods gave shows the reasoning. I have mentioned it before in relation to how moisture meters are calibrated. @Stere I don't know but have always suspected they are calibrated on a dry weight basis, I don't have one but I suppose I should get one to check. In practice the dryer the wood is the nearer they get to the same reading.

@Woodworks the page you quoted has this example "(For example, if a piece of wood weighing 100 kg contains 50 kg of water, the moisture percentage is then 100%)". The calculation of 50kg moisture divided by 50kg of oven dry weight giving 100% mc shows they are using a dry weight basis, it would be 50% on a wet weight basis.

22 hours ago, Big J said:

Well the wet wood thing is total bollocks. Wet wood is only wet for a short while until it's dry and only an idiot would burn wet wood. 

This country is moronic. Everyone else in Europe seems to manage to buy fresh firewood.

Believe me they do, every day.

I have posted on this issue in the firewood section so wont go through it again but its good news for the firewood burning industry as it roots out purveyors of crap.   Although there is a loophole for kiln dried logs that are dry on the outside and wet in the middle.    MC below 20% will be from the center of a fresh split log.

The Hetas Woodsure scheme in my eyes is a stitch up.

A

• Haha 1

But will and if so, how will  any  of theese  regs  be enforced?

Was on the news last night that 70% of wood is still burnt on open fires (duuno were thy get that stat from?) which alot of are  in smokless zones so are illegal but no prosecutions?

EDIT: Stat was from this survey:

http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/517575/Summary_results_of_the_domestic_wood_use_survey_.pdf

Laws seem abit are pointless  unless they are enforced?

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stere said:

Was on the news last night that 70% of wood is still burnt on open fires (duuno were thy get that stat from?) which alot of are  in smokless zones so are illegal but no prosecutions?

http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/517575/Summary_results_of_the_domestic_wood_use_survey_.pdf

This is one of the main issues. There is no physical way an open fire can burn cleanly, and I feel that before trying to apply daft regulation to fuel wood sale, they should outright ban open fires. Emissions from an open fire burning wood at 10% MC would be far worse than a stove burning wood at 30%. In my personal experience, once you're under about 28%, you're not going to have any issues with a decent sized stove. I think smaller appliances require a slightly lower MC.

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Are the government really making decisions on a sample size of only 1000 with only 240 from country areas. Really is a case of garbage in garbage out.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Turkey said:

“ Wet wood sold in volumes greater than 2m3 will need to be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning from this date.”

Does this mean carry on as before but issue customer with a leaflet on how to season and store timber ? 

I would interpret it that way, yes. I'd go so far as to say that the advice would only need to be issued once to each customer.