Environment bill 2020

13 minutes ago, Matt Fitzpatrick said:

Government to announce  tomorrow 

Ban on the sale of wet wood from February 2021 

Ban on Butimous house coal February 2021

Ban on high sulphur  briquettes ( unbranded smokeless fuels)

And a national campaign to discourage the public from burning fossil fuels 

Oh joy, another level of bureaucratic rules that everyone will need to understand.  That is going to go well....

I am currently trying to understand the rules on sewage discharge and how to apply for a permit.  It is all well meaning but ends up largely as unintelligible nonsense sadly!  Believe it or not when I had completed the forms to send off to NRW I noticed there was nowhere to sign it.  I pointed this out to the NRW officer and she had never noticed before, and asked me (and the other three householders who need to sign the form) to sign it wherever I could find the space!

1 minute ago, Big J said:

Everyone else in Europe seems to manage to buy fresh firewood.

Yes. It's been a long time since I was in Belgium but all the rural houses had stacks of freshly felled logs drying under the eaves ready for the winter. UK seems to have lost a woodburning culture during the industrial revolution when coal became plentiful.

Not many UK homes have the luxury of space to season wood and those that do tend to be owned by people who prefer to spend money on more convenient heating.

Of course domestic wood burning for heat as opposed to luxury is a minority undertaking and insignificant in the scheme of energy consumption but it has its place in making use of what else would be a waste.

• Like 3

Anyone seen the source material? The BBC is saying 20% is the threshold and I know this was the number banded about some years ago but recently I heard 25% mentioned.

If it is 20% we have  to buy a kiln or give up. Or we could be like 90% of logs sellers and go below the radar and cash in hand!