365xt over revving

owain

Just picked up a new 365 and been pretty happy with it although we've found after cutting and letting off the throttle the engine continues to keep running on a bit before eventually dropping to normal tick over.

L screw is adjusted fully anti clockwise up to the limiter but was slightly concerned it may be a sign of air leak rather than carb adjustment.

Any ideas?

10 hours ago, owain said:

Just picked up a new 365 and been pretty happy with it although we've found after cutting and letting off the throttle the engine continues to keep running on a bit before eventually dropping to normal tick over.

L screw is adjusted fully anti clockwise up to the limiter but was slightly concerned it may be a sign of air leak rather than carb adjustment.

Any ideas?

If its new,take it back to dealer and let them sort it out?

• Like 1

If it is brand new, it really needs to go back.

The issues may be an air leak or a sticky throttle. If you remove the air filter, you can get to the throttle linkage and if you rev the saw, you should be able to manually shut the throttle off by pushing the linkage to close the throttle rather than relying on the carbs springs, the revs should drop the instant you do this. If this doesn't happen, you probably have an air leak.

If the L screw is a bit lean, the saw can also hang on to revs - you could try turning it anticlockwise against the limiter and see if it improves.

The manufacturers like to leave the settings a bit lean to reach emission levels!

Thanks Steve

To me it really felt like the L screw was out of adjustment but it's as far anti clockwise as it can go on the limiter already.

But wasn't sure if it could possibly be an air leak although it doesn't sound like it's racing and only 2 strokes when In the cut.

I guess the only option is to send it back under warranty as I'm fairly limited by the carb screws.

I have tuned many a 365XPT and TBH, the L screw usually needs a little more anti clockwise to get that nice heavy thump having a slightly richer idle gives you. Without doing it, the saw always feels a little weak on the idle.

You could take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get them to check the H&L settings. I usually set the H so the rev limiter and carb operate at pretty much the same time - it is usually a case of revving the knackers off it, turn the H screw anticlockwise until the saw doesn't bounce off the carb limiter and then turn slowly clockwise until it just starts to - I think this is round about 13krpm.

Whomever does this will need the splined full circle (not D, Hex or Double D) adjustment tool. Perhaps the local Husky dealer?

• Like 1