Any MOT testers about?

eggsarascal

25 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Any MOT testers, or someone that knows for sure. Are marker lights part of the MOT?, I had it in my head that they weren't, or is a case of if they are fitted they must work?

As i understand if they are there they are part of the mot,cos if the vehicle is of a certain height or length they are a legal requirement anyway.

Well. Funny you should say.... My motor just come up for its first MOT and tester picked up on no marker lights.....

I said there were never any on the old transit and that had been tested there for years! 

Anything 2.1m wide is it? 

He says all this size should have on so like all the Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Asda vans etc all-sorts.... Wagged it this time anyhow. Plan to do the same next time aswell lol. Roads I drive on they will get ripped off easy

17 hours ago, swinny said:

Well. Funny you should say.... My motor just come up for its first MOT and tester picked up on no marker lights.....

I said there were never any on the old transit and that had been tested there for years! 

Anything 2.1m wide is it? 

He says all this size should have on so like all the Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Asda vans etc all-sorts.... Wagged it this time anyhow. Plan to do the same next time aswell lol. Roads I drive on they will get ripped off easy

My Classic Car does not have rear seat belts as they where not a requirement when it was new. Every single MOT the guys tried to fail it on the rear Belts, and numerous other things that it does not require, ie brake efficiency of a modern car and emissions to name a few. In the end they generally let me walk them through the MOT and 'advise' them. :D 

Would Marker lights on a Van/truck that did not require them when new also be exempt? 

19 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Any MOT testers, or someone that knows for sure. Are marker lights part of the MOT?, I had it in my head that they weren't, or is a case of if they are fitted they must work?

APP.CRONERI.CO.UK

In order to reduce traffic accidents and deaths and injuries resulting from traffic accidents, road vehicles must meet...

copied this...

End-outline Marker Lamps

Motor vehicles first used from 1 April 1991, exceeding 25mph maximum speed, and trailers manufactured from 1 October 1990 must be fitted with at least two white outline marker lamps at the front of the vehicle and two red ones at the rear in matched pairs and the lamps must be lit when the vehicle is used on the road between sunset and sunrise, or during daylight hours when visibility is seriously reduced.

The white front lamp and red rear lamp on one side of the vehicle may be combined into a single lamp with a single light source.

Exceptions

End-outline marker lamps are not required to be fitted to:

• motor vehicles and trailers not exceeding 2100mm overall width

• incomplete vehicles and trailers going to a works for completion or to a place for storing or where they will be displayed for sale

• agricultural vehicles and works trailers (schedule 13).

Side Retro Reflectors

Side retro reflectors must be fitted to goods vehicles:

• first used before 1 April 1986 having an overall length exceeding 8m

• first used from 1 April 1986 having an overall length exceeding 6m, and trailers exceeding 5m in overall length (excluding any drawbar).

Exceptions

Side reflex reflectors are not required to be fitted on:

• incomplete vehicles (including trailers) going to a works for completion or to a place for storing or being displayed for sale

• vehicles having a maximum speed not exceeding 25mph

• vehicles (including trailers) primarily constructed for moving excavated material and being used under s.44 of the Road Traffic Act 1988

• mobile cranes or engineering plant (schedule 17).

Each reflector must be amber in colour (or if within 1m of the rear of the vehicle it may be red) and bear an approval mark. No triangular reflectors may be used.

Looks like a yes...and yes

• Like 1