Rigging rings ?

Treerover

IMG_6583.thumb.jpg.7dd68f83f1aaaac5cd8cbc94ae291d4c.jpg

After well over a decade of unsympathetic service it’s time to replace my rigging blocks.

I’m seeing a lot of love for the various rigging ring configurations and whilst I can get that the user can snug them tightly against the stem and use multiple rings to cheaply(?!) configure various flexible rigging scenarios I have 2 burning questions :-

1) I’ve always used thimbles in my double braid rigging ropes to dissipate the acute bend ratio of just a splice on a carabiner together with slings.

These rings don’t look like they’d take a thimbled splice through their aperture.

This must mean that should I want to add a second lowering point I’d have to thread the rigging rope tail end first and then rethread it through the main rigging point would it not ?

This seems a ball ache or have I got this wrong ?

2) Surely a rotating pulley will have much less drag coefficient when loaded than a wet muddy rope through a ring, especially when lifting limbs on a GRCS ?

Have I got this all wrong ? Am I missing something?

I’m struggling to persuade my left hand logic brain ? side to convince my right hand anodised, new tech lusting side that these rings are in any way better !

Any advice from anyone who’s using both would really be appreciated [emoji847]

• Like 1

This has been discussed time and again there are so many videos on rings there applications and limitations rings all the way for me beast rings usually and smaller ones for re directs if am lifting in the tree I use pulleys if am re directing on the ground to pull or lift I use pulleys!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigtreedon said:

This has been discussed time and again there are so many videos on rings there applications and limitations rings all the way for me beast rings usually and smaller ones for re directs if am lifting in the tree I use pulleys if am re directing on the ground to pull or lift I use pulleys!

do you use them spliced up with a normal split tail, or do you use them spliced up in fancy configurations with double rings etc??

hope that makes sense!

thanks carl.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carlos said:

do you use them spliced up with a normal split tail, or do you use them spliced up in fancy configurations with double rings etc??

hope that makes sense!

thanks carl.

I tave a few different configurations for different things mostly on dead eyes either single or double rings I'll try take some pictures of my favourite 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2020 at 20:27, bigtreedon said:

Couldn’t agree more. Splices can sometimes be a squeeze through some rings but you can get different sizes. In all honesty just try some. They’re not massively expensive. Obviously the pre made are more but they’re easy enough to make up yourself. Have a few for different uses. Pulleys for lifting always ??

• Like 1

Big fan of the safe bloc , but will still use a pulley for most dismantles , rarely use rings unless it’s a one off top on a spar or something ,just don’t really see the point in them for day to day rigging ... I was probably still using topping strops until 15 years back along with natural crotch rigging and the revaluation of adding a isc block changed a lot of my larger rigging so it just feels a step back for rigging.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Couldn’t agree more. Splices can sometimes be a squeeze through some rings but you can get different sizes. In all honesty just try some. They’re not massively expensive. Obviously the pre made are more but they’re easy enough to make up yourself. Have a few for different uses. Pulleys for lifting always ??

Well I’ve taken your advice and spliced some ArbPro rings onto some 16mm trex. Thus far though I’ve found them a pain in the arse mostly as my 16mm double braid has a stainless thimble which necessitates setting up everything in reverse with the tail of the rope .
Personally I’m not seeing much gain thus far but it’s early days, and perhaps my next rings I’ll buy bigger and lose the thimble .
All seems a bit faffy compared to the ease of mid line block attachment to be honest