Mini-Forwarder Brand?

Inish Forestry

Hi Folks - I'm new to the site. I have 100 acres of mixed woodland probably 60/40 Spruce/broadleaves. It is at first thin stage and I'm thinking of tackling it myself. I also work in the forestry sector and am interested in doing niche work. I'm considering a mini-forwarder and there are lots of brands out there. Alstor, Kinetic 8x8, and Logbullet are 3 that look interesting but with quite variable prices? Any thoughts on these? Is it possible to make this sort of equipment pay for itself working niche jobs in the private sector - eg broadleaves work, small coupe thinning etc? Any thoughts or experience appreciated. Thank you!

Yep, it pays for itself. 

I had the first Logbullet in the UK, and have been out to Finland to see them in action, and will again go at Easter. Mine is 630hrs and 18 month old. It's paid for itself already. I've broken various bits of it, but the manufacturer support has been outstanding and everything I break gets replaced FOC and subsequent machines sent out are uprated. I'm basically the "if anyone can break it, he can" guy, and I'm helping with development going forward. 

Small machines have to built down to a weight, and as such are delicate, but if you're a sympathetic machine operator, they are reliable enough and cheap to fix when they break. I've just had to replace a lift motor and ram on my much larger Komatsu 840tx and that's about £800 once fitted. Just to be able to lift the sodding cab up.

The difference in ground damage has to be seen to be believed. We're working on a site at the moment with a big machine clearfell, a big machine thinning and a small machine thinning. The ground was hard on the big machine bits and is now completely buggered with the weight of the machines and the weather we've had. The small machine section was very soft to start, but the damage has been minimal by comparison. 

I'm biased obviously, but I'd say go Logbullet. Alstor make very good machines but they are extremely expensive. I don't have any experience with Kinetic, but again, a different price class to the Logbullet. I don't have personal experience with the Kranman forwarders, but they are popular in Sweden, and I have the Kranman processor, which is very good and their backup is also very good.

I don't know where you are, but you're welcome to come and see my machine in action in Devon. Otherwise, there are a couple more of us on here with Logbullets, one in Wales, the other North Yorkshire (I'll let them introduce themselves!).

• Like 2

Hi Folks - I'm new to the site. I have 100 acres of mixed woodland probably 60/40 Spruce/broadleaves. It is at first thin stage and I'm thinking of tackling it myself. I also work in the forestry sector and am interested in doing niche work. I'm considering a mini-forwarder and there are lots of brands out there. Alstor, Kinetic 8x8, and Logbullet are 3 that look interesting but with quite variable prices? Any thoughts on these? Is it possible to make this sort of equipment pay for itself working niche jobs in the private sector - eg broadleaves work, small coupe thinning etc? Any thoughts or experience appreciated. Thank you!

Are you Ross? I sent you a message on Facebook. Give us a tinkle, as it is much easier to talk.
When i set out my business plan the £25,000 saving you get from buying the log bullet makes it a viable business.
As big j says it is a lightweight machine that won't stand heavy abuse, but it is productive. Pekka in Finland is very helpful, and as he builds them he provides very good back up.
  • Like 1

Thank you very kindly gents for taking the time to give me such insightful replies. Yip guilty Murray - its me and I will give you a call if thats ok. Big J thank you for your thorough analysis - Im nearly ready to drop the hammer. You should get a commission off Pekka! I might jump across the pond to see her in action - that is a very kind offer. Thanks again. Im in Ireland here so different arena to work in and to source work. 

• Like 1

Thank you very kindly gents for taking the time to give me such insightful replies. Yip guilty Murray - its me and I will give you a call if thats ok. Big J thank you for your thorough analysis - Im nearly ready to drop the hammer. You should get a commission off Pekka! I might jump across the pond to see her in action - that is a very kind offer. Thanks again. Im in Ireland here so different arena to work in and to source work. 
You are welcome to come over, i am only 10 minutes from Pembroke Dock ferry terminal
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...