tree removal - where to begin?!

chin1985

Afternoon all, first time here so please be kind, also apologies if this is in the wrong forum. 

I'm after some advice re tree removal and genuinely do not know where to start.

Effectively between ours and my neighbours house is a large tree (as shown in the images below).

Over the years the tree has grown huge and you can see it's now starting to damage the retaining wall that it sits within.

In addition after the recent storms we are extremely concerned the tree will give way and cause structural damage to property. So we would like it removed. 

We are very concerned about potential heave if we remove the tree due to our house previously suffering subsidence after the removal of several large conifer trees (in the 1990s). As a result of the subsidence the part of the house closest to this tree has been underpinned, but i still believe we need some reassurance. 

However where i am confused is that we would like (need) the tree removed anyway, so regardless of whether an expert says heave is likely or unlikely due to the potential danger of the tree it does still need to be taken down. 

So what would you suggest we do? Remove it in stages? We genuinely don't know where to start so any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

James

P.S my house is on the left of the last image below, around 5m away from the tree in question

https://ibb.co/r4QLB7p
https://ibb.co/nC0Bfw4
https://ibb.co/hc4qG7V

If heave is a serious threat, I believe you should contact an arboricultural consultant first to assess impact of removal and to assess the trees condition so you are able to make an informed decision as there could be quite a lot at stake and for the cost of a survey to be undertaken  it would be a good investment in my opinion. It may be a reduction in height say 40% will stabalise the tree and reduce the likelihood of failure considerably without having any heave issues but bear in mind the ongoing costs of re-reducing in hieght say every 5 or so years..judging by the a picture I would suggest a ball park figure of £300-£500 to reduce in height and remove green waste from site although access and regional variations need to be considered.