Best mattress for sore lower back

Stephen Blair

Not really, no. I have a good orthopaedic Ikea mattress and I still wake up as stiff as a board. Only place I wake up fresh from is a reclining chair. 

I know you're generally as fit as a flea, but what core and posterior chain exercises do you do? I find my back is only OK if I'm disciplined and do some weighlifting, specifically squats.

1 hour ago, Stephen Blair said:

Anyone got some good feedback on a life changing mattress for the sore back, non sleepers amongst us.  I wake up broken after I finally get to sleep.

cheers 

Not sure mattresses can solve much unless your current one is really poor.  Have you tried a good osteopath or chiropractor?  

I’ve been to osteos and physio s every 2-4 weeks since I was 20, I did 12 weeks on pal lattes with a physio twice a week for 3 months and they stopped taking my money as I just wasn’t loosening up.

I’m now every week with a sports masseuse !

had the MRI, had all the bloods, thrown all the pills away that just gave me asthma and made me lethargic and constipated.

J I can’t train anymore as I just go into Spasm and I can be seized up for 11 weeks like last time from November to middle of January.

Hoping a mattress can help.

Just now, Stephen Blair said:

I’ve been to osteos and physio s every 2-4 weeks since I was 20, I did 12 weeks on pal lattes with a physio twice a week for 3 months and they stopped taking my money as I just wasn’t loosening up.

had the MRI, had all the bloods, thrown all the pills away that just gave me asthma and made me lethargic and constipated.

J I can’t train anymore as I just go into Spasm and I can be seized up for 11 weeks like last time from November to middle of January.

Bugger. I'm sorry you've had it so bad. As someone with an occasionally incapacitating and usually stiff back, you have my sympathy. 

Training is the only thing that works for me. The osteopath really helps, but there are good ones and bad ones. What has been the most likely diagnosis from your various tests? I realise that back complaints are hard to diagnose.

10 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

You need an exquisite  Filipino virgin ( weighing in at about 6 stone ) to walk bear foot on your back every evening prior to retiring .  In all honesty I am not qualified to give you a sensible opinion save to say I have a worn out metal shoulder on the left side and and 1 snapped tendon and 1ruptured on the right side a metal rod up my right leg and a right metal knee  . Once upon a time I used to be a pretty good squash player , a 9 in rugby and brown belt at BJA . Now I am a raspberry and the only sleep I get is because I have a memory foam mattress . Don't know if this would help but ......

• Haha 1

As mentioned above. I have a sports massage every 2-3 weeks which helps a lot. I also bought a simba mattress about 6 months. Before I would not manage to sleep all night without waking, would go to bed and wake up stiff and achy, and would still feel exhausted in the morning. Now I’m getting a good nights sleep, sleeping all night, wake up feeling a lot better. Don’t know if all the internet mattress companies are the same but would recommend simba. You get an amount of time to try it and return if you don’t like it. And even better for me someone buggered the paperwork up and I got it for free. 

• Like 2

I'm nowhere near as bad as you but like many tall people have had aches especially when mattress too soft.

Our best move was trying out mattresses in John Lewis my missus and I couldn't agree on how firm the mattress should be, but turns out you can get one with different springing each side so we both get our ideal.

Stevie, I've done the chiropractor bit for years - stopped it now - and the expensive changing of mattresses.  Neither they or exercises helped much.  Sad to say that what has helped enormously is a lightening of my workload; I'll be 60 all too soon.

It is entirely possible that your salvation doesn't lie in mattresses, exercises, chiropractors etc at all.

I'd love to be wrong; give a 'hand it back if you don't like it' mattress a go; what do you have to lose?

• Like 1