Wood Burning Stove for under £1500

13 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Thanks for the heads-up. :)  Saves a lot of cash. :D 

I'll most likely get a slap on the wrist for saying this but I dont believe you need Stove installed by a qualified installer in Scotland? Does not need to be signed off either as far as Im aware? But I await to be corrected. :D My Local and respected Sweep who is also an installer is happy to install whatever I buy. 

We went down the route of getting the two stoves we have had in our current house fitted by recommend HETAS fitters, both stoves were morso models the first a cassette type and the second a free standing model as per pic. First guy fitting the cassette type was clueless and fitted it totally wrong the result being that it would not draw. Eventually sorted it but he baled out of finishing the hearth etc as he said there was no money left in the job ??. Second free standing morso was fitted by the suppliers and we have been plagued with down draft for about 16 months, supplier came out and fitted a new cowl for £170 which had no affect in reality. Just had the chimney swept for first time and the guy who also is a registered installer said straight away that one of the vermiculite boards in the upper part of stove was fitted incorrectly and upside down ?‍♂️. He showed me how it should be located and the difference in the how the fire operates is night and day. As he said at the time just because the supplier is HETAS registered does not mean that everyone of the fitters they send out are highly proficient. This sweep has gone on to fit the lads stove and he did a cracking job. 

E7A349F8-D826-4ADB-8FE1-313B2EAFEB0E.jpeg

3AE1523D-52DE-4003-B3E2-D1F939AEEB04.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

So I ordered the Arada Ecoburn 11. Wife preferred it over the Hunter Herald. I'll give the over night burns a go, see how the flue holds up. I'm hoping a good burn the next morning will clear out the Flue. We'll see. I see the Back-Boiler option is £270 so I'll get that at a later date if I go down that road. 

When I called the lassie on the phone said that the Boiler will take 4.2kw, enough to run four 1sq/m single skin radiators. Does not seem much. But better than nothing I guess? :D 

The overnight burning issue was more to do with me doing it wrong. I simply chucked the biggest log I could find on a  bed of embers, and shut all the vents off. That produced the unburnt fumes and tarred up the chimney.

I gave up also as the house was empty during the day, so I simply used to relight when I got home. Mine is in the conservatory, so not essential for heating the house.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

We went down the route of getting the two stoves we have had in our current house fitted by recommend HETAS fitters, both stoves were morso models the first a cassette type and the second a free standing model as per pic. First guy fitting the cassette type was clueless and fitted it totally wrong the result being that it would not draw. Eventually sorted it but he baled out of finishing the hearth etc as he said there was no money left in the job ??. Second free standing morso was fitted by the suppliers and we have been plagued with down draft for about 16 months, supplier came out and fitted a new cowl for £170 which had no affect in reality. Just had the chimney swept for first time and the guy who also is a registered installer said straight away that one of the vermiculite boards in the upper part of stove was fitted incorrectly and upside down ?‍♂️. He showed me how it should be located and the difference in the how the fire operates is night and day. As he said at the time just because the supplier is HETAS registered does not mean that everyone of the fitters they send out are highly proficient. This sweep has gone on to fit the lads stove and he did a cracking job. 

As I understand from my supplier, the round stoves are not as efficient as they do not have as much surface area of metal, plus using square fire bricks inside a round chamber reduces the log length you can use

7 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Thats a nice Stove. I had one very much like it when I was in Norway. I had the Jøtul F377. Cracking wee 5kw Stove. 

Sounds like a right pain in the ass with your installers. Might just do it myself after all. :D 

60_1722165543_xl.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

As I understand from my supplier, the round stoves are not as efficient as they do not have as much surface area of metal, plus using square fire bricks inside a round chamber reduces the log length you can use

My Round 5KW Stove pumped out so much heat I was constantly in my boxers. :D But Norwegian Houses are very well insulated. Hardly had to fuel it all all. But getting logs in was tricky. 

3 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

My Round 5KW Stove pumped out so much heat I was constantly in my boxers. :D But Norwegian Houses are very well insulated. Hardly had to fuel it all all. But getting logs in was tricky. 

Agree Andy that stove of mine is 5kw but I end up with every door in the place open. Exposed insulated flue is like a giant radiator too, Mrs loves  it but way too hot for me. I cut my own wood as you know so getting the log length correct is no hassle. Yeah it’s been shit it always made good heat but smoked badly whenever the door opened at all,  but it’s like a different stove now so happy days. 

Edited by Johnsond

54 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Toasty hot bud way too much for me.

vermiculite boards in side of stove are curved to fit profile.