Wood Burning Stove for under £1500

Yip, house built in 1880. Room is 4.3x5.5m not huge, but not small either. With the door open the heat disappears in seconds. ? Right up the stairs and out the windows and in-insulated roof.
Here's ours although it's only used on very cold days when the biomass can't keep up with the draftsIMG_20200218_203452.jpeg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

@AHPP, there's ya sale fella, get some pictures up.

Charnwood stoves are here,  the pic of the C4 model with slog store and flue boiler is widely seen on the web.

WWW.CHARNWOOD.COM

At Charnwood Stoves we offer a numerous choice of Room Heating, Electric and Boiler Stoves. Alongside a host of Accessories for your British crafted Stove.

image.png

Edited by Alycidon
Steve, can you tidy up that stove plus flue pipe boiler pic ?, if not delete. Thanks

24 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

Charnwood stoves are here,  the pic of the C4 model with slog store and flue boiler is widely seen on the web.

WWW.CHARNWOOD.COM

At Charnwood Stoves we offer a numerous choice of Room Heating, Electric and Boiler Stoves. Alongside a host of Accessories for your British crafted Stove.

image.png

That makes more sense to me than replacing a firebrick in the combustion chamber with a boiler tank. The reason for insulating firebricks is to keep the combustion hot enough to complete inside the firebox. Sticking a cold surface in there defeats this. Far better to remove heat above the firebox after combustion has completed.

The concept of quenching a burn before completion is easily demonstrated with a metal spoon and a candle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

How do you find it?

Do you get an over night burn with it?

I see its 380mm deep compared to the Hunter Herald which is 500mm deep, do you get plenty logs in it?

Cheers. :) 

I chose it when I went to my local supplier. I get 450mm logs in easily.

I tried to overnight burn, but I did it too,often and blocked the chimney. It can be done as its dual fuel, but I never burn coal.

Some comments about the size of the output of the stove, whilst it is true it may get too hot in the room, I think if you out a back boiler on, it will need the bigger capacity

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alycidon said:

You only need twin wall fully insulated flue outside of a brick cavity,  so if its in a chimney then use flexi liner.

Thanks for the heads-up. :)  Saves a lot of cash. :D 

4 hours ago, Alycidon said:

With flue systems their is a wide range of products in the market,  many are of poor quality,  cowls that are mild steel not stainless steel,  we wont fit anything we have not supplied.   I would suggest you let whoever is installing it supply the flue parts as he is having to certify it as safe to use.  

I'll most likely get a slap on the wrist for saying this but I dont believe you need Stove installed by a qualified installer in Scotland? Does not need to be signed off either as far as Im aware? But I await to be corrected. :D My Local and respected Sweep who is also an installer is happy to install whatever I buy. 

I'll most likely get a slap on the wrist for saying this but I dont believe you need Stove installed by a qualified installer in Scotland? Does not need to be signed off either as far as Im aware? But I await to be corrected. [emoji3] My Local and respected Sweep who is also an installer is happy to install whatever I buy. 
Fitted mine and the liner! Didn't know you needed to have it fitted by a professional!! Plummer pipes the boiler to the Dunsley Neutralizer and hey presto no greif for the last 6 years
  • Like 1

Just now, CallumA said:

Didn't know you needed to have it fitted by a professional!!

As far as Im aware in Scotland you dont. Although its obviously recommended. Id install my own as well but I have to wait for my back to get better before I can mess around on the roof or hump 100kg Stoves into position. :D 

WWW.STOVEFITTERSWAREHOUSE.CO.UK

Many thousands of people fit their own wood burning stoves in the UK: some employ a registered “HETAS” fitter (other...

First few lines and the footnote at the bottom. 

13 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I chose it when I went to my local supplier. I get 450mm logs in easily.

I tried to overnight burn, but I did it too,often and blocked the chimney. It can be done as its dual fuel, but I never burn coal.

Some comments about the size of the output of the stove, whilst it is true it may get too hot in the room, I think if you out a back boiler on, it will need the bigger capacity

So I ordered the Arada Ecoburn 11. Wife preferred it over the Hunter Herald. I'll give the over night burns a go, see how the flue holds up. I'm hoping a good burn the next morning will clear out the Flue. We'll see. I see the Back-Boiler option is £270 so I'll get that at a later date if I go down that road. 

When I called the lassie on the phone said that the Boiler will take 4.2kw, enough to run four 1sq/m single skin radiators. Does not seem much. But better than nothing I guess? :D