Wood Burning Stove for under £1500

So I thought Id ask you knowledgeable guys for recommendations on what Stove to buy. We took the Old Fireplace out took it back to the Builders Entrance. Ended up with a decent size to work with. About 850mm wide. 480mm deep and 800mm high. 

On my Brothers recommendation we bought an extra large Dog Grate, had the chimney swept and liner inspected by a Sweep. Since we had family up for the week and they all like an open family we thought it would be a good idea. But (obviously) we're burning way to much wood. In the last two days we've burned a 1.25sq/m bag of seasoned hardwood. :D Its been nice having a roaring open fire but now the family's left we really need to put a Stove in to heat the room and hopefully the hallway too. 

We like the 'widescreen' Stoves. We also like the idea of retrofitting a Boiler at a later date if needed. (depending on what road we go down.)

The Living room is 5.5m x 4.3m, single glazed (just now) drafty and does not hold the heat at all. Will be getting sorted in the near/medium future but it is what it is just now. We'll be keeping the wall with the Fire with the exposed Stone work, will just be extending it to the windows when we replace them and obviously re-pointing the Stonework. 

So far Ive got my eye on the Hunter Herald 14 with the Single Door. 1, price it good (£965). 2, Can retro-fit a Boiler if needed. 

So any other recommendations? :) 

Also, is it ok to run with the Flexi-liner thats an option for the Stove on the website below or should I really install a Twin Walled Liner? 

Also, I see the Hunger Herald 14 can come as a Wood Burner or a Multi-fuel Stove. As I'll almost exclusively be burning wood Id save £100 getting the Wood only option or is it worth getting the multi-fuel version?

86793571_571287106797136_538562124092276736_n.jpg

87155278_507950556794373_278577797931204608_n.jpg

Edited by trigger_andy

32 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I have an arada Aarow ecoburn 11. I know for a fact you can add in a boiler. I paid 1100

How do you find it?

Do you get an over night burn with it?

I see its 380mm deep compared to the Hunter Herald which is 500mm deep, do you get plenty logs in it?

Cheers. :) 

Edited by trigger_andy

You have a poorly insulted room with a volume of around 65 cu m.   

As such you need a stove with a nominal output of 5kw - 6kw,   much biiger and you will soon regret it as the room will be uncomfortably hot.  Modern stoves need to be driven hard for optimum flame patterns, clean glass and minimum emissions.     You have not advised if you are living within a designated smoke control area.      

ARADA Ecoburn 5 widescreen has a nominal 5kw output and a max output of 9kw depending on what its loaded with, is approved for use within a SC area.    Not as advanced as some but a good solid British built stove,   lifetime casing warranty.  I sell 50 plus a year and never have an issue. but a bi

There are others within your price range,  Charnwood C5 and Aire are technically more advanced but a bit more costly.

I am assuming your budget is for the stove alone, if its for stove, flue parts and installation and sign off then I need to down spec the stove.  

A

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bullerjan 01. We had one in a similar sized room in a similarly draughty house in Scotland and was certainly not OTT. 11kw. 

Should be able to find one in budget, though they aren't the easier to get in the UK. The convection from the pipes is superb, and they punch above their weight. Take 50cm logs too. 

Much more interesting than the current trend for boring square boxes with oversized windows.

Image result for bullerjan 01

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

As such you need a stove with a nominal output of 5kw - 6kw,   much biiger and you will soon regret it as the room will be uncomfortably hot.  Modern stoves need to be driven hard for optimum flame patterns, clean glass and minimum emissions.     You have not advised if you are living within a designated smoke control area. 

Thanks for the info.

:) We had an Esse Dragon in the room a few years ago. Was definitely cosy then. :D But leaving the living room door open soon dealt with the excess heat.  If I was not wanting the option to retrofit a Boiler at a later date then Id look at the smaller Stoves but I think its about 60% likely we'll be doing that. 

No, we dont live in a smoke controlled area, we're out in the Sticks in Scotland. 

45 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

I am assuming your budget is for the stove alone, if its for stove, flue parts and installation and sign off then I need to down spec the stove.  

Yes, for the stove itself. The website Ive been looking at sells a Flue Liner Pack. Im not sure if this is any use or is just cheap rubbish? I need 7m so the kit is £233;

The flue liner pack consists of; a nose cone, to easily manoeuvre the flue liner into place, a flue adaptor, which connects the stove pipe to the flexible flue liner, Dura Flue flexible flue liner (this is 6" in diameter and 316 Grade) cut to the required length and a 6" pot hanger rain cap, this supports the flue liner from the top of the chimney and also acts as a bird guard and rain cap.

I know the Twin Walled Flue Liners are significantly better but being on a budget if its not strictly necessary I'd do without just now. 

I think the rules and regulations for Stove installations and signing off are different in Scotland and England. 

Just now, Big J said:

Bullerjan 01. We had one in a similar sized room in a similarly draughty house in Scotland and was certainly not OTT. 11kw. 

Should be able to find one in budget, though they aren't the easier to get in the UK. The convection from the pipes is superb, and they punch above their weight. Take 50cm logs too. 

Much more interesting than the current trend for boring square boxes with oversized windows.

Image result for bullerjan 01

Its certainly an interesting Stove for sure. My Brother would love it! My Wife not so much. :D So squar box with a big window is whats gonna get bought if I dont  want my ear bent for the next year. :D 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

Its certainly an interesting Stove for sure. My Brother would love it! My Wife not so much. :D So squar box with a big window is whats gonna get bought if I dont  want my ear bent for the next year. :D 

The stove is almost exclusively loved by men and exclusively loathed by women. It's an engineering masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned, but I agree that it can be contentious with the women folk.

• Like 2

You only need twin wall fully insulated flue outside of a brick cavity,  so if its in a chimney then use flexi liner.

For 1500 quid you cant get a can a really nice stove,  Charnwood Aire, Morso Badger but these are not usually boiler compatible,  but you wont go far wrong with my original Ecoburn widescreen recommendation,   pretty sure this offers an optional clip in boiler ( to replace the rear firebrick) but it may not be possible to do that with the new 2022 compliant Ecoburn series 3 due to be launched in May or June.  ( I do have one in the showroom and as it has a terciery air system I am 99% sure that wont be compatible with a boiler). 

Another thought is that Charnwood now have flue pipe boilers,  these connect to the flue flange of some Charnwoods only and use heat that would otherwise be lost from the flue pipe above the stove.   One pipe in, one out they offer the Domestic Hot water option on stoves that being 2022 compliant are not compatible with internal boilers.  As these boilers bolt in using the unique flue flange holes in the stove they are not compatible with other stove brands.       My thought is a Charnwood C5 BLU + log store + Flue pipe boiler would be close to 1500, I would need to confirm that when sitting at my desk though.

With flue systems their is a wide range of products in the market,  many are of poor quality,  cowls that are mild steel not stainless steel,  we wont fit anything we have not supplied.   I would suggest you let whoever is installing it supply the flue parts as he is having to certify it as safe to use.  

WWW.CHARNWOOD.COM

The Charnwood ash-carrier is a simple yet invaluable addition to your Charnwood stove. It offers a clean, safe and effective means of ash disposal.

Edited by Alycidon
  • Like 1