Course advice needed.

Lee2307

Good evening all,
I have been looking in to forestry machinery operative courses today  and i'm not sure where to start or which ones would be best. 
I take it I have to pass the basic FMO course first before moving on to say flail/mulcher. Skidsteers. Telehandlers. Tractors etc. Also is there much call for people with these tickets? I know nowadays having the right certificate is essential for a lot of roles. I'm looking into this as i do enjoy this industry but seeing as i don't climb i'd like a different progression route. I'm 39 this summer and don't really want to be just dragging brash till i'm 70+.
I'm based in Birmingham very close to the M6 and M42 .
I'd appreciate any advice on this.
Lee

There is always call for good machine drivers, especially if they have prior knowledge of hand cutting/forestry operations. I would go for FMOC base unit in tractor/forwarder and 360, lots of 360 based shears/grapple saws in use in forestry dealing with dieback. I don’t know anyone personally in your region, NPTC or LANTRA should have some regional info on their websites for Assessors and Instructors.

Edited by The avantgardener
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The avantgardener said:

There is always call for good machine drivers, especially if they have prior knowledge of hand cutting/forestry operations. I would go for FMOC base unit in tractor/forwarder and 360, lots of 360 based shears/grapple saws in use in forestry dealing with dieback. I don’t know anyone personally in your region, NPTC or LANTRA should have some regional info on their websites for Assessors and Instructors.

I think FMOC trainers/accessers are a bit thin on the ground these days only guy i know for accessing is Dave Blakie who is up in the scotish borders but he travells the length and bredth of the country doing FMOC accessments, we have him for 2 days next week doing some saw and 360 accessments,