HELP NEEDED, 12"+ square or round timber required DRY...

se7enthdevil

hoping someone can help me get a bit of relatively dry timber for a customers project...

i need to make this.

84089251_10156944288098372_6423899794837602304_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=DQN2iuLoxUoAX84tTWR&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=5ee1b0d49711ebc69728bfaeb89614d7&oe=5ECB0FD7

it is 12" diameter and just over 24" tall originally made from a softwood.

i'm looking for a bit of doug fir or larch or cedar (no sap please) to try and turn this sucker from.

telegraph pole off cuts are a possibility as long as i can get a 12" diameter from them.

one other option is to bolt four 6" square beams together and the customer is ok with this so if anyone has any 6" square air dry timber that is relatively durable then please let me know.

if anyone has any other suggestions then please let me know.

Hi mate I have some cedar that is quite dry but very rain wet it’s an off cut that has been left in the rain ,Doug Fir I could cut green but I doubt that’s any good,and I have some western red but it’s not that good quality, I think you should still have my number give me a ring 

Cheers  Mark 

I'd have to say a few years air drying, just been stood in the yard outside to be honest but we are low rainfall East Anglian.

The grain is really twisted in one as it was the bottom of a tree which bent over 90 degrees, I haven't even tried to split it I thought may make a good chopping block or anvil stand.

The other one is straighter but slightly smaller.

What is it? Doesn't look like a skittle, would need too big a ball to knock it over.

this item is at the base of the strongman "ring the bell" equipment you use at the fairground. 

we use the sledgehammer to whack a block which is on a pivot (that's what fits in the slot) that then hits a pin inside the hole and if you've hit it hard enough it slides up the pole and rings the bell...web-test-of-strength-9.jpg?v=1560932992

this lump i need to remake sits at the base of the pole and is where the pin gets lunched from so it takes alot of punishment.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Hi steve i have lying on a site some very tight grained old growth larch, they are some trees we felled to waste about 3 yrs ago, i am on that site saturday morning with your mate looking at some other larch, i will have a look and see what i can find,

as long as there is 12" of heartwood that might be ideal...

who's this mate of mine???  i haven't got any mates surely???

11 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'd have to say a few years air drying, just been stood in the yard outside to be honest but we are low rainfall East Anglian.

The grain is really twisted in one as it was the bottom of a tree which bent over 90 degrees, I haven't even tried to split it I thought may make a good chopping block or anvil stand.

that might do the job, any pictures???

hope it's not rotten as elm is not the most durable of species...