Secondhand Stihl Chainsaws

Meds

@xdcxYes the 550xp looks like a great saw. The reason I consider the 555 is because it's 60cc, and less 'tuned' as I understand it, when compared with the 550. It's only half a kilo more, with a little more power. I just wonder if something with bigger cc running less full-on will be better suited to lasting longer/being more reliable. I liken these XP models to some kind of highly strung race tuned car that needs constant mechanical attention. This may just be in my head though. But from what I've read, chainsaws don't seem to last as long as they used to.

@Lowestoft Firewood Very nice power output there at 4.7hp on the 560, but i don't know if I can justify the stretch.

Ok, why i dont reccomend saw from online dealers, everything is about a spare parts and guarantees, try to get filter for dolmar 6100 in your area for example, or any other part, if you succeed, than buy it at amazon. Now 

my thoughts about budget, better barrow a little, or wait a little, but buy good, good item have good  resale value ( dealers can help with that resale, another + to buy from them). 

Edited by Sviatoslav Tulin

14 hours ago, Meds said:

@xdcxYes the 550xp looks like a great saw. The reason I consider the 555 is because it's 60cc, and less 'tuned' as I understand it, when compared with the 550. It's only half a kilo more, with a little more power. I just wonder if something with bigger cc running less full-on will be better suited to lasting longer/being more reliable. I liken these XP models to some kind of highly strung race tuned car that needs constant mechanical attention. This may just be in my head though. But from what I've read, chainsaws don't seem to last as long as they used to.

@Lowestoft Firewood Very nice power output there at 4.7hp on the 560, but i don't know if I can justify the stretch.

Bigger displacement and the extra weight will help with vibration levels, I think the 555 is certainly a smoother saw to use than a 550xp but the mk2 has made big improvements I believe. Both are 4bhp saws anyways but I see what you are saying.

555 may say "professional" on it but it's more a semi-pro level of saw in comparison to XP saws. The 555 is marketed as their top farm/landowner level saw (equiv to MS391 from Stihl I reckon). The 550XP is a pro saw in every way and really is meant to be run day in, day out. With autotune and especially on this new Mk2 I think you will likely never need to tune the thing in its life. 

That half a kilo will make a noticeable difference but it is not all about that overall weight either. It would definitely be worth handling both at a local dealer (555 and xpmk2) because you will most likely feel the XP is better in the hand balance wise. The distribution of its weight and how it handles will make that overall figure seem a bit more than a little 500 grams.

XPmk2 is also a brand new saw essentially. So spares, servicing and repairing is going to be good times for many many years from now. 

If it was a £450 versus £550 choice here I'd be kinda stuck also. But with them both being same price I just think the XP beats it so many ways even dis-regarding use intentions.

15 hours ago, Meds said:

I liken these XP models to some kind of highly strung race tuned car that needs constant mechanical attention. This may just be in my head though. But from what I've read, chainsaws don't seem to last as long as they used to.

I have a 2014 560xp. Has only had standard wear parts, eg clutch springs, rim sprockets, needle bearings. The only constant mechanical attention is keep the saw and airfilter clean, and run green fully synth 2-stroke, either the Husky XP stuff or the Stihl HP. There may be other brands available. 

Alternatively if you are not so bothered about pro spec, the Husqvarna 455 Rancher is a tough little saw, have a few farmer mates who have them and have relentlessly abused them over the years, they seem to go and go.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HuntingHicap said:

I have a 2014 560xp. Has only had standard wear parts, eg clutch springs, rim sprockets, needle bearings. The only constant mechanical attention is keep the saw and airfilter clean, and run green fully synth 2-stroke, either the Husky XP stuff or the Stihl HP. There may be other brands available. 

Alternatively if you are not so bothered about pro spec, the Husqvarna 455 Rancher is a tough little saw, have a few farmer mates who have them and have relentlessly abused them over the years, they seem to go and go.

I agree with this,if you keep on top of general maintenance theres no worries,i,m also running Huskys of that age with no issues at all