Secondhand Stihl Chainsaws

Meds

Hi all,

Forum newbie here, so hello!

I'm based in North Wales and recently been gaining experience working in an ancient woodland up in Colwyn Bay. I am now considering doing a couple days a week mobile firewood processing to keep me going financially. I feel the need for a solid chainsaw for processing rounds. My boss donated an old ms171 which was running glitchy (now is better), so i bought a Husqy 135 mk2 to get me going as it seemed the best budget saw available (only £160). I then bought a bargain refurbished (screwfix) Titan 49cc to see how good/shite they are - have just fitted a 15" bar and it seems to run better but given then design of the brake I am not convinced it will last!  Anyway, I am not sure any of these will do for my 'first' saw which is used primarily and needs to rip through whatever it comes across.

So i have been toying with the idea of spending 4-500 quid on a new, decent saw.  Boss is a Stihl fan and runs the older ms261. The Husqy 550xp has also been on my mind, also the 555, and the Dolmar 6100 which i actually contacted Shavey about on here and he was helpful (thanks). 

Well a local guy up here has a Stihl ms460 for sale. The only thing is that its 9 years old (but is in good condition). He wants £400 for it. My thinking is: 1. Its a lot of saw (more than what i would need probably, but nice to have) 2. I have seen some pretty good reviews. 3. If it is running well most of the depreciation will have gone from it. 4. £400ish seems like an okay price if the condition is right.

My question is, what do you think would be the best course of action? Is it likely that this older Stihl be tired? Am i best just buying something new?

Many thanks in advance. I appreciate the forum and I am sure it will be helpful when it comes to setting up my little business.

John

Too expensive.
A 2-3 year old 461 is about £250-400
Ideally contact your local stihl dealer and ask if he has anything second hand.
I've bought over a dozen saws off eBay,
all were crap.
Bite the bullet and push the budget to a new Saw.
Don't forget trousers, boots and helmet either.
And spare chains, files.....
[emoji106]

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

Another vote for the Husky 365. great saw and if you want more oomph it can be modded to a 372 cheaply.

PPE and a set of log tongs to save your back, you only get 1 and need to look after it, and get someone who knows how to teach you how to hand sharpen. I ruined quite a few chains till I was shown.

This the 365 is a great all round saw?

1 hour ago, Meds said:

Hi all,

Forum newbie here, so hello!

I'm based in North Wales and recently been gaining experience working in an ancient woodland up in Colwyn Bay. I am now considering doing a couple days a week mobile firewood processing to keep me going financially. I feel the need for a solid chainsaw for processing rounds. My boss donated an old ms171 which was running glitchy (now is better), so i bought a Husqy 135 mk2 to get me going as it seemed the best budget saw available (only £160). I then bought a bargain refurbished (screwfix) Titan 49cc to see how good/shite they are - have just fitted a 15" bar and it seems to run better but given then design of the brake I am not convinced it will last!  Anyway, I am not sure any of these will do for my 'first' saw which is used primarily and needs to rip through whatever it comes across.

So i have been toying with the idea of spending 4-500 quid on a new, decent saw.  Boss is a Stihl fan and runs the older ms261. The Husqy 550xp has also been on my mind, also the 555, and the Dolmar 6100 which i actually contacted Shavey about on here and he was helpful (thanks). 

Well a local guy up here has a Stihl ms460 for sale. The only thing is that its 9 years old (but is in good condition). He wants £400 for it. My thinking is: 1. Its a lot of saw (more than what i would need probably, but nice to have) 2. I have seen some pretty good reviews. 3. If it is running well most of the depreciation will have gone from it. 4. £400ish seems like an okay price if the condition is right.

My question is, what do you think would be the best course of action? Is it likely that this older Stihl be tired? Am i best just buying something new?

Many thanks in advance. I appreciate the forum and I am sure it will be helpful when it comes to setting up my little business.

John

Corwen Forestry is a good Husky dealer in north wales,try them

Thanks all of you for the input. I don't have any 'tickets' but have been mentored well for 4 months by my boss/friend who is really keyed in and trained up himself. I have all the safety gear etc and enough chainsaw maintenance knowledge to get me going, with crosscutting, windblown experience and a small amount of felling (I don't plan to do any felling though, just the processing/splitting side of things)

@Rough HewnMy ms460 pricing thoughts were from ebay where £320-400 seemed to be the going rate. Am thinking I should perhaps bite the bullet though.

@Sviatoslav TulinYour English is decent enough. The 365 is a bit out of budget and not in production any more. I saw that deal on amazon for the Dolmar 6100 - why would you steer clear of it?

@gary112Thanks, I am based in North West Wales, Corwen is a bit of a trek. There's a local Makita/Echo/Husqy dealer close to me though. 

• Like 1

I can't see beyond the 550XP Mk2 just now. FR Jones have it just above that £500 you were speaking of. 
With a 15" bar I do not think you can go wrong with it for FW processing side of things and you can buy a 18" bar at a later date and have a very capable saw for felling if you need to.

The 555 is a great saw but if you do buy new in that bracket I don't see why you would select it over the 550xp. Power to weight and for use the 550 is just way better and they are same pricing. No brainer between those two IMO :)

Other options are to shop around for a decent 550xp mk1 or 261c second hand. They can be had and can be perfect saws but it is a lottery compared buying new of course.

I think you are on the right lines of that 50cc 500ish quid zone and to live within that for what you want to do and to have a scope for doing more with your saw further down the line. I would absolutely not be spending £400 on a second hand 460 though.

• Like 1