DAF T244

Guest Gimlet

I drove them, pretty good. Solid engines, easy to maintain. Inner hub seals always leaked. Simple electrics. Spacious cab. Look after it and it won’t go far wrong. There was a box body attachment for signals and electronic repairs, think metal smiths had a version (had a lathe in the back).
The CVR(T) used the same engine, so plenty of power from the unit as they shifted. DAFs accelerated fast unladen. You pull off in 2nd no problem, 1st was the power gear and short in duration unless in low ratio.

That was my thinking too. And if you get one straight from the military it will have been well maintained. And probably not done big miles.

They were serviced according to time, not mileage, so the wagon had done 24km since the last oil change, it was still changed, along with air filter and all that went with it. Grease on the props, hinges and that would still be clean. Could of done with being driven more. Crazy really.

I think the one i have has done 32k kilometers and i have a service sheet for it and it tells me where it was when it was serviced, its been in burgen a few times, been to the Faulklands but spent most of its life at RAF Honington, and as post above says they where serviced whether they had done something or nothing, oil in mine is like new but last recorded service was in 2014 but it will get all fluids and filters changed before it goes on the road, oil and filters are cheap compared to metal spare parts,

I reckon a flatbed of canvas back, or whatever is cheapest is the way to go because most converters seem to build custom bodies from scratch.

This looks good:

LORRYWAYDOWN.COM

We bought the Leyland Daf T244 from Whithams, the military disposal centre, as a canvas backed troop carrier in...

A custom body could incorporate a heavy roof rack as well. 

Maybe hard to part in Tecsos though. Would be good to tow a box trailer for materials and a quad bike....

And a motorcycle.. I'd never need to go home. Actually........Hmmm.

Edited by Gimlet

I think the one i have has done 32k kilometers and i have a service sheet for it and it tells me where it was when it was serviced, its been in burgen a few times, been to the Faulklands but spent most of its life at RAF Honington, and as post above says they where serviced whether they had done something or nothing, oil in mine is like new but last recorded service was in 2014 but it will get all fluids and filters changed before it goes on the road, oil and filters are cheap compared to metal spare parts,

When the odometer/speedo was changed it was logged in the documents distance at change. Odometer changed at 32,000 due to failure, new odometer reads 000000, something like that. So probably a genuine 32k, not bad for such an age vehicle.
  • Like 1