Topping at 230 ft

RC0

43 minutes ago, RC0 said:

Thanks mate. Id like to visit one of the annual trade shows again at some point, catch up with old and new faces but I just haven't gotten around to it. No it a long time since i was in my 20s, but am actually doing much harder stuff now than what I did then. So I cant reallly make a physical comparison in how I feel. There was in fact plenty other 20something year old climbers on that site, but this job wasnt for them. The other contractor who was climbing is called Ryan Murphy, mid-late 30s I think. Excellent climber. He had a shi.t of a tree to deal with also. 

Bigger harder trees come with the territory when you have more years under your belt but the years soon roll by,may be bit late for you this year but i’am sure you know all about the APF...May be when you can find the time you could come over at the beginning of a year when the APF & Arb Show is on in the same time there is also Cutters & Climbers which is usually around April time so there is 3 in April,May & September ...next time will be 2022.

59 minutes ago, RC0 said:

Hello mate. Theres a lot of fake people people and groups in our job, who've somehow maneuvered themselves into positions of Authority, whether their roles be in teaching, consulting, safety or whatever. Lots of experts on the net too. All spelling out the dos and don'ts. Out here in BC is no exception either. Youll often see them lit up like a Christmas tree in brand new looking, branded clothing each and every time. No rips or stains. Wagging their fingers and making up rules. Its always been a great incentive for me to offer an alternative to these T.wats. while I dont profess to be a teacher, I like to demonstrate, in particular to up and comers that the reality of how things are done on a worksite, for money, under pressure, can be very different than what you were told about in college, or on that refresher course. If by comparison I can just prick enough people's curiosity to question the credentials of these experts and rules, then it was a good thing. Other than that, Ive put up so much content on YouTube, Im just repeating myself. Did you happen to see big stem wobble from December, same site. Its a bit different: 

Fake people and organisations, god you are not wrong with that one, i know quite a few over here and its hard to explain, but they have musseled there way up with just exams and paperwork but there expierience out in the field is very limeted and it makes me think some times, how they got the job in the first place but the guy interviewing/employing him will be from exactly the same background,

• Like 2

Reg, whenever I see you’ve posted a new vid I’m on it like a fat kid on a Smartie.

I always learn something, however small.

Might just be to do with weather, mood, attitude or whatever, but there’s always something there.

Plus the scenery is a dream!

I know what you mean about repetition, but I think I speak for all of us when I say we’re not bored yet.

No two tree jobs are ever the same after all, even single stem connies.

I think you could make topping a 25’ leylandii in a back garden watchable somehow.

I really appreciate the effort you go to in putting these vids out.

I’ve drawn on them for inspiration many a time when shitting myself up a 50 footer, ‘Come on Bolam, get it together, Reg was 4 times as high as this on a dodgy tree the other week’.

It’s your call mate, but I’d be gutted if you didn’t make another vid.

Goodbye for now.

P.S. Shame about City, like.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Reg, whenever I see you’ve posted a new vid I’m on it like a fat kid on a Smartie.

Might just be to do with weather, mood, attitude or whatever, but there’s always something there.

I know what you mean about repetition, but I think I speak for all of us when I say we’re not bored yet.

I think you could make topping a 25’ leylandii in a back garden watchable somehow.

I’ve drawn on them for inspiration many a time when shitting myself up a 50 footer, ‘Come on Bolam, get it together, Reg was 4 times as high as this on a dodgy tree the other week’.

Goodbye for now.

You  speak for me .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5 shires said:

Bigger harder trees come with the territory when you have more years under your belt but the years soon roll by,may be bit late for you this year but i’am sure you know all about the APF...May be when you can find the time you could come over at the beginning of a year when the APF & Arb Show is on in the same time there is also Cutters & Climbers which is usually around April time so there is 3 in April,May & September ...next time will be 2022.

Ive always done  the tricky ones, went out to Oz on 92, NZ in 99, was a contract climber through and after those periods for over 20 years....but nothing quite of the size of that Ive tackled here.

Having said that, these  particular jobs dont just land at your feet, you do have to build a rep and be able to back it up before youd ever get asked. For instance, theres nothing on this scale in and around Victoria, yet the region holds by far the highest number of Tree Experts, Industry Leaders, Certified Professionals among other paper titles that are so readily thrown around and self promoted. Yet they are nowhere to be seen on sites like this. When I hear "I could do what you do"...I say, well why haven't you ?  

I did get actually get a pic one of the lads on site texted me 

20200213_203106.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Goodbye for now.

Youve always looked a bit fat. Dont try to blame me for it.

Yeah thanks, and i know what youre saying. Theres just so much of the same bollox on YouTube now, with the channel or user going for quantity, clickbait images and titles. Same or similar bollox job each time. Doesn't seem sincere somehow. Sadly its becoming normal and lucrative for many. Im never going down that road. Ive even had to start watermarking the footage lately as it people keep taking and posting it as their own. Adding music usually stopped that situation but its not been enough more recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RC0 said:

Ive always done  the tricky ones, went out to Oz on 92, NZ in 99, was a contract climber through and after those periods for over 20 years....but nothing quite of the size of that Ive tackled here.

Having said that, these  particular jobs dont just land at your feet, you do have to build a rep and be able to back it up before youd ever get asked. For instance, theres nothing on this scale in and around Victoria, yet the region holds by far the highest number of Tree Experts, Industry Leaders, Certified Professionals among other paper titles that are so readily thrown around and self promoted. Yet they are nowhere to be seen on sites like this. When I hear "I could do what you do"...I say, well why haven't you ?  

I did get actually get a pic one of the lads on site texted me 

20200213_203106.jpg

Thanks Reg for your reply’s and yes generally in life the one s who brag about doing extremely difficult or way out kind of things are the ones you find are in the next county when things get real and the ones who say nothing and keep out the limelight are the ones who get it done.spot on Reg..and really think about coming over before to long.???

Edited by 5 shires

I am in such admiration of the patience and bravery you show in every video i,ve watched of your work.Along with the environment and the spectacular scenery I often watch the same ones over again.Above all your focus at such height and the fact that you come across as so humble is what I respect the most.[emoji106][emoji269]

• Like 3

As always, another really interesting vid Reg?? I for one really appreciate the time and effort you spend putting them together, they are a fascinating insight into you and how you go about tree work, your thought process before, during and after you’ve finished with the added bonus of some amazing trees and scenery. I could sense your relief when you’d got that top off. Thanks again, and maybe “just one more log”  All the best??

• Like 2